Kirsty Ogg is currently Curator at the Whitechapel Gallery, London where she has worked on a number of exhibitions and related publications. Kirsty is the former Director of The Showroom (London), an exhibition space dedicated to the commissioning of new work by artists at an early stage in their careers. While she was at The Showroom, Kirsty worked with artists such as Jim Lambie, Claire Barclay, Eva Rothschild, Subodh Gupta, Richard Hughes and Daria Martin on the development and presentation of their first solo shows in London. Kirsty also steered The Showroom through a significant stage in its development, introducing many new initiatives such as the annual conferences that aimed to address prescient issues in contemporary art theory and practice, the production of annual publications that provided an overview of the gallery’s work and facilitating the organizations move to new premises in north London.
After graduating from the Sculpture Department at Edinburgh College of Art, Kirsty became a member of the organising committee at the artist-led space Transmission between 1993 and 1996. She then went on to work at Norwich Gallery at Norwich School of Art & Design, while based there she opened up her flat as an independent exhibition space, providing an alternative platform for the presentation of work in the city. Kirsty has also curated freelance projects including High Red Center for CCA (Glasgow), Slight for Collective Gallery (Edinburgh) and A show of many part, each part more spectacular and elaborate than the last for City Gallery (Leicester). Kirsty has wide teaching and examining experience at a range of UK academic institutions.
May 2009 – Whitechapel Gallery, London Curator
- Paul Graham: Photographs 1981-2006; April 2011 – June 2011.
- Bethan Huws: solo project; 29 January 2011 – 18 March 2011.
- Claire Barclay: Bloomberg Commission; major new sculptural installation with dance commissions by Dog Kennel Hill Projects, Siobhan Davies Dance and Will Tuckett. 26 May 2010 – 05 May 2011.
- The Nature of the Beast: Meetings Archive; exhibition of the material generated by the public meetings held during Goshka Macuga’s Nature of the Beast Commission. 20 March – 30 May 2010.
- Where Three Dreams Cross: 150 Years of Photography from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh; co-curation of ambitious historical survey of images by over 80 photographers from the Indian sub-continent. 21 January – 11 April 2010.
- East End Academy: The Painting Edition; Guy Allott, Varda Caivano, Cullinan Richards, Luke Dowd, Andy Harper, Robert Hollyhead, Daniel Kelly, Zara Matthews, Bruno Pacheco, Henrijs Preiss, Lara Viana, Emily Wolfe. 9 July – 30 August 2009.
April 2008 - Self-employed Freelance Curator
- A show of many parts, each part more spectacular and elaborate than the last; Matti Braun, Spartacus Chetwynd, Lothar Hempel, Mike Nelson Joanne Tatham & Tom O’Sullivan and Cathy Wilkes. City Gallery, Leicester. 12 September – 29 October 2008.
1998 – 2008 The Showroom, London Director
Commissioner of new work by:
Sebastian Buerkner, Bianca Hester, Sue Tompkins, Hannah Rickards, Pil & Galia Kollectiv, Matti Braun (in collaboration with Laban), Clare Gasson, Diann Bauer, Caroline Achaintre, Aaron Williamson, Daria Martin, Richard Hughes, Elin Wikström, Subodh Gupta, juneau/projects/, Des Hughes, Dolores Zinny & Juan Maidagan, Matti Braun, Ólöf Björnsdóttir, Antonio Ortega, Barby Asante, Gun Holmström, Minna Haukka, Dave Allen, Kathrin Böhm, Eva Rothschild (toured to Cornerhouse, Manchester), Rachel Lowe, Alan Kane, FlatPack 001 (plus Volker Eichelmann, Robert Johnston, Dave Muller, Rigo 00), Claire Barclay, Oliver Zwink, Andrea + Philippe, Jim Lambie.
Showroom Annual conferences:
- Props, Events, Encounters: the performance of new sculpture;
Speakers: Joan Jonas, Jan Verwoert, Andrea Phillips, Matti Braun, Pablo Bronstein, Ian Kiaer, Tatham & O'Sullivan, 2007.
- Artist-culture and the spirit of capitalism (exploring the territory that artist-culture now occupies in relation to the market and government);
Speakers: Thomas Hirschhorn, Maria Lind, Munira Mirza, Paul Hedge, Suhail Malik, Kirsty Ogg, 2006.
- New Moderns? (modernism, post-modernism and alter-modernism in contemporary art practice.);
Speakers: Thomas Lawson, Annie Fletcher, Nicolas Bourriaud, Simon O’Sullivan, Daria Martin, Kirsty Ogg, 2005.
- To Change an Opinion: art and politics in the new world disorder;
Speakers: Chantal Mouffe, Michael Hirsch, Jananne Al-Ani, Richard Noble, Subodh Gupta, Jean-Paul Martinon, 2004.
1996 - 1998 Norwich Gallery, Norwich Assistant Curator
Selected curatorial projects:
- Single Screen; video works by Alan Currall, Douglas Gordon, Rodney Graham, Rachel Lowe, Mabel Palacin, Liza May Post, Smith/Stewart.
- October; including Fiona Banner, Kendall Geers, Mike Nelson, Jan Peter-Sonntag, Louise K. Wilson.
- Slight; drawings by Rita Ackermann, Maura Biava, Russell Crotty, Tracey Emin, Rachel Evans, Ewan Gibbs, Graham Gussin, Karen Kilimnik, Maria Lindberg, Martin MacDonald, Jacqueline Mesmaeker, David Shrigley, Thomas Schütte, Thaddeus Strode, Hayley Tompkins. Toured to the Collective Gallery, Edinburgh.
1996 - 1998 7 Alexandra Mansions, Norwich Director
Selected curatorial projects:
- Not Yet Titled; Liadin Cooke, Ceal Floyer, Cathy Wilkes.
- Cardboard Box and Tape; Phil Allen, Stuart Cumberland, Kate Belton, Brian Cyril Griffiths, Leiza McLeod. Travelled to Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art, Sunderland.
- Glamour Wounds; Christine Hill, Karen Kilimnik, Philippe Meste.
1993 - 1996 Transmission Gallery, Glasgow Co-Director
Selected curatorial projects:
- Me and the Boys; Karen Kilimnik.
- 21 Days of Darkness; including Jason Fox, Weegee, Simon Periton, Christine Borland, Neil Millar, Mabel Palacin, Lee Miller.
- Call of the Wild; including Liza May-Post, Torbjørn Rødland, Justin Carter.
Selected Other Curated Exhibitions and Projects:
- High Red Centre; Eva Rothschild, Philippe Meste, Kendell Geers, Tomatsu Shomei, Christine Borland, Gregory Green, CCA, Glasgow, January 1999.
- Big Girl/Little Girl; David Shrigley, Chantal Joffe, Ingrid Mourreau, Collective Gallery, Edinburgh, July 1996
Where Three Dreams Cross: 150 Years of Photography from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
Gupta, Sunil; Singh, Radikal; Nasar, Hammad; Alam, Shahidul; Pinney, Christopher; Gadihoke, Sabeena and Kapur, Geeta. 2010. Where Three Dreams Cross: 150 Years of Photography from India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. London, UK: Whitechapel Gallery, Fotomuseum Winterthur, Steidl. ISBN 978-0-85488-179-6
Gerard Byrne: Like a Man
Reckitt, Helena. 2013. Gerard Byrne: Like a Man. In: Kirsty Ogg
The Bloomberg Commission: Claire Barclay: Shadow Spans
Ogg, Kirsty. 2010. The Bloomberg Commission: Claire Barclay: Shadow Spans. In: "The Bloomberg Commission: Claire Barclay: Shadow Spans", Whitechapel Gallery, London, United Kingdom, May 2010 - May 2011.
Where Three Dreams Cross: 150 Years of Photography from India Pakistan and Bangladesh
Ogg, Kirsty. 2010. Where Three Dreams Cross: 150 Years of Photography from India Pakistan and Bangladesh . In: "Where Three Dreams Cross: 150 Years of Photography from India Pakistan and Bangladesh", Whitechapel Gallery, London , United Kingdom, 21 Jan - 11 April 2010, 12 June- 22 August 2010.
A show of many parts, each part more spectacular and elaborate than the last
Ogg, Kirsty. 2008. A show of many parts, each part more spectacular and elaborate than the last . In: "A show of many parts, each part more spectacular and elaborate than the last City Gallery, Leicester ", City Gallery, Leicester, United Kingdom, 12 September – 29 October 2008.
Interrogating the intersection of performative and cross-disciplinary practices with sculpture; testing the possibilities and parameters of the ‘prop object’; engaging with contemporary renderings of spatial, temporal, material and formal concerns in 3-dimensional work.