Gilda Williams is interested in the collective process — among artists, curators, art writers, gallerists, academics, collectors, museums and more — which results in the production of discourse in art. She sees her role in this process as a critic, teacher, editor and researcher of contemporary art.
Williams has taught at Goldsmiths since 2008. She was Editor and Commissioning Editor (from 1997) for Contemporary Art at Phaidon Press 1994-2005, where she commissioned the ‘Contemporary Artists’ monographs, ‘Themes and Movements’ series of anthologies, and other books including Salon to Biennale: Exhibitions that Made Art History (2008).
She is a London correspondent for Artforum, and has written for Art Monthly, The Guardian, Sight & Sound, Burlington, frieze and many more.
- On and By Andy Warhol (MIT/Whitechapel), 2016.
- ‘A Mouthful of Imagery’, Christian Marclay: Action, Aargauer Kunsthaus/Hatje Cantz Verlag, 2015.
- How to Write About Contemporary Art (Thames and Hudson), 2014.
- ‘It Was What it Was: Modern Ruins’, Art Monthly no. 336 (May 2010), reprinted in Brian Dillon, Ruins, ‘Documents of Contemporary Art’ (MIT/Whitechapel), 2011.
- The Gothic, ‘Documents of Contemporary Art’ (MIT/Whitechapel), 2007.
- Art writing and art criticism
- Andy Warhol - 21st-century artist
- Contemporary gothic - narrativizing a troubled past through materialized forms: ruins, ghosts, and haunted places
Jonathan Wateridge: Being Seen, In Between
Williams, Gilda. 2010. Jonathan Wateridge: Being Seen, In Between. In: Gilda Williams, ed. Jonathan Wateridge: Another Place. London: All Visual Arts, pp. 22-37. ISBN 978-1-907164-02-6
book review, 'Bad New Days: Art in a State of Emergency'
Williams, Gilda. 2015. book review, 'Bad New Days: Art in a State of Emergency'. Frieze,
Write On: On Today's Art Writing Explosion, and the Tyranny of the Artist's Statement
Williams, Gilda. 2015. Write On: On Today's Art Writing Explosion, and the Tyranny of the Artist's Statement. Art Monthly, 348, pp. 11-14. ISSN 0142 6702
Silver Sliver: Andy Warhol's Infinitesimal Fragments of Space of Time
Williams, Gilda. 2014. Silver Sliver: Andy Warhol's Infinitesimal Fragments of Space of Time. Art Monthly, pp. 1-4. ISSN 0142 6702
Conference or Workshop Item
Making Monsters: Gothic Processes and Themes in Contemporary Art
Williams, Gilda. 2009. 'Making Monsters: Gothic Processes and Themes in Contemporary Art'. In: Lecture. University of Westminster, London, United Kingdom.
Defining Contemporary Gothic Art in the 21st Century
Williams, Gilda. 2009. 'Defining Contemporary Gothic Art in the 21st Century'. In: 9th Biennial International Gothic Association Conference. University of Lancaster, United Kingdom.