Fionn has a strong track record in research with industrially-relevant consequences, and in teaching and learning. For over 35 years he has been a global leader in research, and applications, of clustering and data analysis, computational statistics, and also modelling and statistical analysis in image and signal processing.
He is editor-in-chief of Computer Journal, the British Computer Society’s flagship journal. He has a leading role in classification societies International Association for Statistical Computing and the British Computer Society, and has been president of both the Classification Society of North America and the British Classification Society. He is an elected member of the Royal Irish Academy and Academia Europaea.
Short Courses and Tutorials
Summer School Course
Towards the New Science of Big Data Analytics, Based on the Geometry and the Topology of Complex, Hierarchic Systems
16-20 August 2015, ESSCaSS 2015, 14th Estonian Summer School on Computer and Systems Science, Nelijärve Puhkekeskus, Estonia.
The New Science of Big Data Analytics, Based on the Geometry and the Topology of Complex Systems
5 July 2015, at the Conference of the International Federation of Classification Societies, 6-8 July, 2015, Bologna, Italy.
- SLDS, Symposium on Statistical Learning and Data Science, 20-22 April 2015, Royal Holloway, University of London. Programme Committee Co-Chair. Organiser, session on Geometric Data Analysis.
- ISI2015, 60th World Statistics Congress, Organiser, Special Topic Paper Session (STS) on The New Data Science: Statistical Analysis of Massive, High Dimensional Systems, 26-31 July 2015, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- Statistical Computing for Data Science (Joint Meeting of IASC-ABE Satellite Conference for the 60th ISI WSC 2015 / IASC Satellite Conference 2015), 2-5 August 2015, Atlântico Búzios Convention and Resort, Búzios, RJ, Brazil. Member, Scientific Programme Committee.
- ECDA, European Conference on Data Analysis, 2-4 September 2015, University of Essex. Member Programme Committee.
- p-Adics2015, International Conference on p-Adic Mathematical Physics and Its Applications, 7-12 September 2015, Belgrade, Serbia. Member Programme Committee, invited speaker.
- CARME 2015, Correspondence Analysis and Related Methods, 20-23 September 2015, Naples, Italy.
- Astroinformatics 2015, 5-9 October 2015, Dubrovnik, Croatia. Member Scientific Organising Committee.
- CLA 2015, 12th International Conference on Concept Lattices and their Applications, 13-16 October 2015, Clermont-Ferrand, France. Invited Speaker.
Data Science, Data Analytics, Big Data
- Digital Content Analytics
- Computational Science, including innovative models and paradigms from digital humanities and quantitative social sciences
- High Performance Search and Discovery, linear and constant computational time algorithms
- Massive data sets in very high dimensional spaces
- Geometry and topology of information and data
- Multivariate Data Analysis Software
- Multiscale Morphological Modelling, Compressive Sampling.