In this section
Students from around the world are invited to London for a 4-week hands-on course in creative computer programming.
Goldsmiths' Creative Computing summer school is a programme designed for undergraduate students at the School of Creative Media, City University Hong Kong.
We also invite other overseas institutions to contact us to set up summer school agreements. We are unable to accept applications from individual students but if you contact us, we can discuss this with your university.
Students spend four weeks living and studying in London. The study programme features a total of 80 hours' learning, of which 64 hours are spent working in the computing labs.
You will work on your own original creative assignments, developing your problem-solving, design and communication skills. Our expert tutors will give you all the skills you need to:
- create generative drawings, graphics and animations
- synthesise, sample and sequence electronic music
- make audio data visualisations
- build an Internet of Things device.
You will also meet UK professionals who are using programming to create graphics, artworks and audio work. You will participate in practical workshops to discover the possibilities of 3D printing and other new technologies. At the end of week 1, 3 and 4 you will present your projects to your tutors and classmates, and get feedback on your work. More about the academic content
On day trips and evenings out, we will introduce you to the best of creative, modern and historical London. Our summer school staff will take you to major museums & galleries, and give you the confidence to explore the city on your own. Trips are likely to include:
- Tate Modern and the National Gallery
- British Museum and Victoria & Albert Museum
- East London’s cutting-edge art and music venues
- relaxing trips to parks and along the River Thames
- nights out in bars, restaurants and theatres.
We will give you a zone 1-2 Oyster card, which gives you free bus, train and underground travel in London.
In 2016, students spent much of their free time exploring London independently, and organised their own trips to Brighton, Dover, Stonehenge and Amsterdam. Read about exploring London
The fees for our four-week summer school are £3000 GBP, and include:
- the full study and social programme
- free bus, train and underground travel in London zones 1-2
- visa assistance and airport pick-up
- welcome pack, handbook and course materials
- support from our summer school coordinators.
The fees do NOT include:
- air travel, visa fees and travel insurance
- living costs such as food and drink.