Rod Fisher has extensive experience as a researcher, consultant and lecturer on comparative cultural policy, cultural relations, cultural management training and the policy of European institutions in the cultural sector. He has conducted research, consultancy, lectured and chaired/moderated conferences in 33 countries worldwide. He has particular expertise on the cultures and policies of Europe and Asia.
For many year he worked for the Arts Council of Great Britain (initially as Information Officer and later as International Affairs Manager), as well as local authorities, where he programmed and administered arts and leisure services, festivals and venues. Subsequently, he established and directed his own consultancy, International Intelligence on Culture (formerly International Arts Bureau), delivering projects and services for institutions in the UK and overseas. For example, in the mid 1990s he chaired the European Task Force on Culture & Development that produced the seminal report In from the Margins for the Council of Europe.
Today he chooses to work selectively, focusing on lecturing, and the occasional research project.
- BA History (Sussex) 1965.
- Visiting/Associate Lecturer at Goldsmiths on the MA in Arts Administration & Cultural Policy (since 2002) and a contributor to the MA in Cultural Policy, Relations and Diplomacy.
- Visiting Lecturer at City University, London, running a module on Cultural Policy in Europe (subsequently International Cultural Co-operation and Policy) 1984-2007.
- Visiting Lecturer at Jagellonian University Summer School, Krakow, 1991-1995.
- Visiting Lecturer at Birkbeck, London, and in Lisbon, Bangkok, Barcelona etc at various times.
- Director European Cultural Foundation UK 2002-2012.
- Member, Orientation Board, Fondation Marcel Hicter, Brussels, 1991-2007.
- Member, UK Advisory Committee, Japan Foundation, 2005-2007
- Co-founder, Cultural Information Research Centres, Research in Europe (CIRCLE) network (Chairman 1985-1994).
- Independent expert, Preparatory Action on Culture in European Union External Relations for Goethe-institut, Brussels, commissioned by the European Parliament,
- Co Chair, Final Conference in Beijing of the EU Year of Intercultural Dialogue 2012.
- Training in Transnational Cultural Cooperation Projects: Reflections and Challenges to Validation & Certification (with Karpodini-Dimitriadi, Dr E) for EU, published by Marcel Hictor Foundation, Brussels, 2007.
- From Policy to Practise & Potential: A Cultural Dimension to the EU's External Relations, (ed), Boekmanstichting, Amsterdam , 2007
- Developing New Instruments to Meet Cultural Policy Challenges, (ed) report on international cultural policy seminar, Bangkok, Asia-Europe Foundation & Chulalongkorn University, Thailand, 2005.
- Hong Kong Arts & Cultural Indicators (with Mercer, C), research project for Hong Kong Arts Development Council, 2004-2005.