The School Practice Collection is on the first floor of the Library in the Rutherford Building, and contains about 20,000 items. The main aim of the Collection is to help students on teaching practice by providing books and other materials for use in the classroom and for lesson preparation. The collection consists of two sections: books and audio-visual, and other multi-media material.
Books and audio-visual
The book collection covers all age and ability groups from pre-school to A-level, and includes teachers' books for use with children. The main sequence of books is arranged by Dewey Decimal Classification, as in the rest of the Library, and includes all the non-fiction subjects, fairy tales, myths and legends, and poetry and drama.
- Novels and picture books are shelved separately at the end of the book sequence: IFIC, JFIC, SFIC and PICT are infant, junior and senior fiction, and picture books. Big books can be found on the racks nearby.
- Audio-visual: Individual CDs, CD-ROMs and DVDs for loan are stored on the shelves with the books. Books with CDs or cassettes are shelved with the books.
The School Practice multi-media collection is housed at the end of the book sequence. Items are classified in the same way as the books, but stored by format. A table with a laptop point is also available.
- Project packs - These items are usually documents and pictures in a folder, stored in the filing cabinets.
- Kits - These are multi-media items, such as teaching objects and games, shelved in three sequences: ordinary, small, and envelope (large) kits.
- Picture charts - Charts and posters are stored rolled in cardboard tubes.
- London Drama Collection - A special collection of drama education material.
Library catalogue and Loans
All School Practice items can be found on the Library catalogue. There are several catalogue terminals near the School Practice area. All items can be borrowed and returned at the ground floor self-service machines or the help desk. Most items are available for three weeks.
For loan limits on School Practice items, please consult our borrowing allowances page.
Returning School Practice Items
When borrowing and returning items with multiple parts, please check the contents, as responsibility for them rests with the borrower. We cannot check items at the busy issue desk, but do so on their return.
Renewals and Enquiries
Loans may be renewed in person, on the catalogue or self-issue machines, or by phone on 020 7919 7189. Please quote your Library card number, and note that reserved items cannot be renewed. If you have any other School Practice enquiries, please contact the Education Subject Librarian, Mark Preston; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 7919 7169.
See more Educational Studies on-line resources, including web links, Library guides, and the British Education Index.