- Music Subject Guide [pdf]
- Contact the Subject Librarian for Music: Lesley Ruthven
- See the Department of Music
- Special collections: Library special collections in music
Online audio resources
Classical Music Library is the world's largest multi-label database of Classical music recordings for listening and learning in libraries. The growing collection of 60,000-plus tracks includes recordings from the world's greatest labels. Coverage includes music written from the earliest times (e.g. Gregorian Chant) to the present, including many contemporary composers. Repertoire ranges from vocal and choral music, to chamber, orchestral, solo instrumental, and opera. For access off-campus click here.
Naxos Music Library Complete catalogues or selected recordings of over 400 independent labels such as ARC, Berlin Classics, BIS, Capriccio, Chandos, CPO, EMI Classics, Erato, Haenssler Classic, Hungaroton, Marco Polo, Naïve, Naxos, Nimbus, Ondine, Teldec, Vanguard Classics, Virgin Classics and Warner Classics. This resource is for Department of Music students and staff only. For the username and passwork contact Lesley Ruthven, l.ruthven(@gold.ac.uk)
Film and Sound Online Includes the Culverhouse Classical Music Collection which comprises over 50 hours of copyright-free classical music, covering much of the core repertoire plus rarer pieces from the 17th to the 20th centuries. College IT username and password required for use on college network and off-campus.
Indexes and abstracts
- International Index of Music Periodicals indexes music journals from 1879 up to the present and has links to the full text of many of the articles. IT username & password required for off-campus use.
- RILM - indexes academic level music journals from 1969 onwards. Goldsmiths IT username and password is required for off-campus use.
- The Wire Index index to a music periodical that is not covered by RILM or IIMP
- Barbican Song Index This is an index to sheet music anthologies of popular, jazz and folk songs, songs from musicals and films, classical songs and opera arias. All information in the index is drawn from the Barbican Music Library collections.
- Doctoral Dissertations in Musicology-online DDM-Online includes references to over 10,000 completed and in-progress dissertations from 1965. The database can be searched by author, title or subject category, but there are no abstracts. There is also a print version, which is available in the Second Floor Reference Collection (016.78) and covers the period 1965-1995.
- Archive of Dissertation Abstracts in Music This archive of theses from various countries is maintained by Geoffrey Chew mainly on the basis of material supplied by Andrew Dell'Antonio. The abstracts relate both to completed dissertations and to those in progress. The web site also includes links to other web sites listing theses.
- The UK and Ireland RISM Music Manuscripts Database gives details of 17th- and 18th-century music manuscripts held in libraries and archives across the UK and in Dublin.
- The Cecilia online database contains information on collections of music materials of all kinds held in libraries, archives, museums and other repositories in the UK and Ireland.
In addition to journasl in the Library there is an increasing collection of online journals. There are links to these from the Library Catalogue. One major resource for music is JSTOR which has long backruns of journals and is searchable. Goldsmiths IT username & password is required for off-campus use
Music resources on the Internet
- New Grove Dictionary of Music
The library has 2 sets of the latest edition of New Grove (shelved at 780.3).
In addition the dictionary is available online on any computer on the College network at www.grovemusic.com
Goldsmiths IT username and password is required for off-campus use.
- Classical Music Navigator - links to music websites.
- Music Libraries Online - provides an interface for searching key music collections within the UK.
- PALATINE (Performing Arts Learning And Teaching Innovation Network) is the new LTSN Centre for Performing Arts
- The Golden Pages: Links for musicians on the WWW compiled by Royal Holloway College, University of London
- Music Internet Resources compiled by Julie Crawley for IAML (UK & Irl), the International Association of Music Libraries, Archives and Documentation Centres: United Kingdom and Ireland Branch. Select 'Resources' and then 'Music Internet Resources'.
- American Musicological Society - Includes 64 pages of links to www sites of interest to musicologists
- Worldwide Music Internet Resources - Another catalogue of sites. Based at Indiana University.
- BUBL Link for music - a national information service for higher education in the UK.
- Artifact - a guide to quality Internet resources in the Arts and Creative Industries.
On-line scores which are out of copyright
Please note that coverage is limited; something that is out of copyright in one region of the world may still be covered by copyright in the UK, and there is often no information about what edition the version is based on, so you can not judge the quality of the editorial work (or be sure that it is a legal copy).
- Gutenberg Music
From website: Project Gutenberg volunteers have been engaging in digitizing public domain sheet music, using a variety of techniques, to enable study and performance. For the most part, the musical pieces created have been chamber music, with composers such as Brahms and Beethoven.
- Choral Public Domain Library This has over 6000 pieces of music.
- The Mutopia project Mostly classical, with a little jazz.
- The Sheet Music archive
- The Werner Icking Music Archive A continuation of the GMD Music Archive.
For other sources of online sheet music, see
- Downloadable Music Sheets, part of the Open Directory Project. One of the sites listed is the
- Unversity of Indiana Variations Project which has scores for reading online rather than printing.
Music: other libraries
This page lists a few music libraries that you may wish to use. For more information on libraries for music, both in London and throughout the UK, consult the British and International Music Yearbook in the Second Floor Reference Section (780.058).
Senate House Library, University of London
Senate House, Malet Street, WC1E 7HU
Goldsmiths students may obtain a borrower's card on production of a Goldsmiths card
Opening hours: Monday – Thursday 09:00 - 21:00
Friday 09:00 - 18:30
Saturday 09:30 - 17:30
Westminster Central Music Library
Victoria Library, 160 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 9UD
You may apply for borrowing rights with proof of address
The largest public music library in the south. Over 30,000 music scores and performance parts, from plainsong to Stockhausen. A large collection of 1,000 vocal sets, 20,000 pieces of sheet music. 1,400 orchestral sets and 17,000 books about music for reference and loan, including every edition of Grove's Dictionary. 450 journal titles in store and 100 current subscriptions. A collection of Mozart recordings for reference only. There is also a collection of CDs and cassettes for loan downstairs in the general lending library. Opening hours : Monday – Friday 11:00 - 19:00
Saturday 10:00 - 17:00
The British Library
The British Library music collections (manuscripts, books and printed music)
96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB,
The British Library holds the national reference collections of music manuscripts and printed music. The collection of manuscript music amounts to some 12,000 volumes, containing over 100,000 single items. The Library holds around 1.5 million separate items of printed music.
Access : A British Library readers pass is required
You can apply for a Reader Pass in person; the Reader Admissions offices are open Monday to Saturday, except for seasonal closures.
Please call 020 7412 7677 for advice.
You will need to provide proof of your signature and home address : passport, driver's licence, bank, credit or identity card, together with a bank statement or utility bill.
Monday 10:00 - 20:00
Tuesday – Thursday 09:30 - 20:00
Friday – Saturday 09:30 - 17:00
Enquiries Tel: 020 7412 7772 for Music Collections. Tel: 020 7412 7676 for general enquiries about reader services, opening hours, and advance reservations.
New integrated catalogue of books and scores.
To limit your search to printed music or journals use 'catalogue subsets search'.
The Manuscripts catalogue is still separate.
The British Library Sound Archive
96 Euston Road, London NW1 2DB,
A vast range of recorded sound, including classical music, popular music, jazz and world music. Classical collections include commercial recordings, unpublished recordings, broadcast recordings, and speech recordings about music.
Reference only. The Listening and Viewing Service operates by appointment.
Monday 10:00 - 18:00
Tuesday – Wednesday 10:00 - 20:00
Thursday 10:00 - 18:00
Friday – Saturday 10:00 - 17:00
Tel: 020 7412 7418 to make an appointment (BL cardholders only)
Tel: 020 7412 7676 for general enquiries about reader services, opening hours, and advance reservations
British Library website
British Library Sound Archive Catalogue
Sound and Music
Sound and Music is the UK’s landmark organisation for new music and sound.
Open for business since October 2008, we are the result of bringing together the British Music Information Centre, Contemporary Music Network, Society for the Promotion of New Music and Sonic Arts Network.
From digital platforms to a UK-wide programme of live events, it is our ambition to raise the profile of new music and sound in the public consciousness, building support and audiences for innovative work. Our learning, participation, and professional development initiatives lead the way for artistic exploration and excellence in this field.
The Sound and Music website provides a unique concentration of resources, with opportunities for artists, composers and practitioners to upload their work via our on-line community, as well as comprehensive listings of events, video, multi-media, and details of all Sound and Music activities. Includes catalogue of collections of scores & audio.
+44 (0)20 7759 1800
Sound and Music
3rd Floor, South Wing
London WC2R 1LA