Using other libraries
Here are lists of other libraries you can use:
COPAC holds combined catalogues of UK and Ireland HE and research libraries.
SUNCAT contains serials held in over 60 UK libraries.
Senate House Library (formerly the University of London Library)
Senate House Library is a major UK academic library, concentrating primarily on the humanities and social sciences. Goldsmiths academic staff, research, taught postgraduate and most undergraduate students have reference use and can borrow. There is a list of electronic resources available to you offsite once you have joined.If in doubt, please check your eligibility at Goldsmiths library before visiting.
SCONUL Access scheme
At participating institutions a SCONUL Access card will usually* allow you to have:
- limited borrowing facilities for academic and research staff, all postgraduates and part-time undergraduates
- limited borrowing for students on placements of 6 weeks or more
- reference access for full time undergraduates, other students and administrative staff
You can apply online to join the SCONUL Access scheme at http://www.sconul.ac.uk/sconul-access or you can obtain a SCONUL Access card from the enquiry point at the issue desk in Goldsmiths library.
* Please note that individual institutions can set local restrictions on, for example, access to computer facilities, electronic resources, short loan collections, etc., and not all allow borrowing for full-time postgraduates. You are advised to check with the library you intend to visit.
Other libraries in London University
Goldsmiths staff and students can use other University of London libraries for reference use. You need to check the ULRLS complete list of catalogues and access arrangements for details.
The British Library
- For access see the admission requirements to get a reader pass. You must also take your Goldsmiths card to show your current academic status.
- The British Library Catalogues
- The British Library Newspaper Library in Colindale
Other UK national libraries
- Horniman Museum library (Forest Hill) Collections on ethnography, natural history & musical instruments.
- National Library of Scotland (Edinburgh)
- National Library of Wales (Aberystwyth)
- National Art Library (Victoria and Albert Museum, London) Includes national union catalogue of art periodicals.
UK higher education libraries and research collections
- AIM25 Archives and manuscripts in M25 area libraries.
- National Register of Archives
- Consortium of Research Libraries (CURL) A British organisation of academic libraries. Contains information on the individual collections.
- Libraries for art history A list of libraries in London specialising in art history.
- MASC25 A resource guide to printed special collections in libraries in Higher Education institutions in the London region.
- Research Support Libraries Programme Information about more research collections.
- CASBAH RSLP project to facilitate access to Black and Asian history collections for research.
- University of Wolverhampton UK Sensitive map An excellent resource for finding UK HE institutions and their libraries - click the location on the map for a connection to that site.
- Most London boroughs/local authorities have useful large central reference libraries, e.g. Westminster Reference Library.
- Lewisham library
- US Library of Congress - information about the Library of Congress collections, including a connection to the Library Catalogue.
- The European Library - access to the resources of the 43 national libraries of Europe. Offers free searching and delivery of digital objects - some free, some priced.
- Bibliothèque nationale de France The French National Library
- Die Deutsche Bibliothek The German National Library