This page provides information on the processes used within the College to help guide those staff wishing to apply for external research grant funding.
To gain College authorisation to submit your Research Grant Application you are required to discuss your preliminary ideas with your Department. Then it is essential to provide Research Office Staff with your proposal outlines two weeks before the application deadline, or longer for Large Grants and European grant applications. This way the Research Office can help advise you as appropriate according to funding body criteria and College procedures. Once the Research Office has seen the proposal, you will be asked to liaise with Research Finance to help finalise the budget for the application and seek approval from the Pro-Warden Research and Enterprise on behalf of the College.
Academics vary in experience and background. Therefore the Research Office aims to offer a service which is specific to an individual or group, their disciplines and the career stages they may be at.
Research Office Staff can:
- help identify organisations who might provide funding for your research interests
- offer suggestions on how to frame research enquiries, in for example practice-based areas
- inform you about funding body priorities and the types of narrative specific funding bodies wish to see from their applicants
- guide you through application-form filling and the various electronic application submission systems
- offer an application checking service to ensure your proposal has met all funder requirements before being submitted
- advise on ethical approval, intellectual property rights and commercial potential
The Research Office is not able to assist with Postgraduate Student queries or Enterprise enquiries.
If you are interested in taking a PhD or other postgraduate course or would like to enquire about research student funding please contact the Graduate School. PhD travel funding and award monies are also advertised on Research Professional.
If you are an external collaborator or internal staff member/student enquiring about Enterprise opportunities, please contact our Enterprise Office.
Where to find funding
For useful sources of funding the office recommends that you consult the online database provided by Research Professional.
Proposal writing advice
For advice on proposal writing, please log in to Research Professional and consult their advice pages. You can also consult Justin Davin-Smith or Muriel Swijghuisen Reigersberg for more specific information.