Computing, Data Analysis
Learn how to manipulate and shape your data, automatic processes or write bespoke programs.
This is a practical introduction to programming using Python.
This course is aimed at those new to programming and provides an introduction to programming using Python.
If you are involved in the analysis and management of data, you will soon encounter the need to manipulate and shape your data, automate processes or write bespoke programs. Due to its versatility and gradual learning curve, Python has quickly risen to be one of the languages of choice for introductory courses in programming. Moreover, through the use of excellent numerical packages it can compete against more statistical and mathematical packages such as Matlab and R.
By the end of this course, you should be able to write useful Python programs, use Python for more advanced data analysis and understand more complex Python programmes written by others. The final group project will involve creating a useful program that can help a user control their finances.
The course will cover the following key aspects of programming using Python:
· General introduction to programming
· Programming in Python
· Using the interpreter and iPython
· Writing Python scripts
· Loop and control flow (for-loops, if-statements)
· Data-types: strings, lists, dictionaries
· Using and writing functions
· Functions for scientific programming: Numpy and SciPy
· Finding problems in code
· Data manipulation project using Python
This module can be taken in conjunction with Introduction to R.
How to Apply
All enquiries can be sent to Teemu Toivainen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellations up to 14 days before the course start date will incur a 20% cancellation fee. For later cancellations, or non attendance, the full course fee will be charged.
- 10% if you are taking two courses in consecutive weeks
- 20% UK students
- 25% UK Law Students Association (UKLSA) Members (those at pre-qualifying stage)
- 10% Early career solicitors/attorneys, up to 5 years post qualifying
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts