In this section
Students from around the world are invited to London for a 4-week hands-on course in creative computer programming.
Monday 29 July - Thursday 22 August 2019
Now in its fourth year, the Creative Computing Summer School is a programme of intensive study, accommodation and tourist trips around London. It is currently only open to students from the School of Creative Media at City University Hong Kong, and the University of London's International Programmes in Computing. Please contact us if you would like your institution to participate in the summer school.
Students spend four weeks living and studying in London. The study programme features a total of 60 hours of teaching, 18 hours of self-guided learning and 16 hours of our Discover London module.
You will work on your own original creative assignments, developing your problem-solving, design and communication skills. Our expert tutors will give you all the skills you need to:
- create generative drawings, graphics and animations
- make projection mapped visualisations
- build an interactive installation.
You will participate in practical workshops to discover the possibilities of projection mapping and other new technologies. At the end of Week 2 and 4 you will present your projects to your tutors and classmates, and get feedback on your work. More about the academic content
On day trips and evenings out, we will introduce you to the best of creative, modern and historical London, while our new Discover London module challenges you to go beyond the standard tourist experience. Our summer school staff will take you to major museums & galleries, and give you the confidence to explore the city on your own. Trips are likely to include:
- Tate Modern and the National Gallery
- British Museum and Victoria & Albert Museum
- East London’s cutting-edge art and music venues
- relaxing trips to parks and along the River Thames
- nights out in bars, restaurants and theatres.
We will give you a zone 1-2 Oyster card, which gives you free bus, train and underground travel in London.
In 2018, students spent much of their free time exploring London independently, and organised their own trips to Brighton, Oxford, Stonehenge, Paris and Amsterdam. Read about exploring London
This is our draft timetable for Summer School 2019, and is the live document we are using to plan your time in London. The teaching schedule (green and yellow cells) is unlikely to change much, but we will adapt the extra-curricular activities (pink and orange cells) in reaction to new opportunities, London weather and student interests. If you have any issues reading the table below please see the full version.
The fees for our four-week summer school are £3000 GBP, and include:
- the full study and social programme
- free bus, train and underground travel in London zones 1-2
- assistance getting your study visa
- welcome pack, handbook and course materials
- support from our summer school coordinators.
The fees do NOT include:
- air travel, visa fees and travel insurance
- living costs such as food and drink.