In this section
Opportunity: Casting 4 talented performers for Butterfly Lovers - a new musical
Butterfly Lovers Productions is working on a new musical by Eole Bonnineau and Gianni Barros: Butterfly Lovers - Can love challenge tradition?
The musical will be part of Mélange: the new musical theatre festival opening in September at the Tristan Bates Theatre in the West End.
Butterfly Lovers is based on the Chinese legend of the tragic love story between Zhu Yingtai and Shanbo Liang. Yingtai desires to go to school but she is not allowed because she is a woman. She decides to go anyway disguised as a man. On her way to school she meets Shanbo who becomes her friend. During their three years in school they fall in love but Shanbo thinks to be in love with a man, something unacceptable at the time. Yingtai finally reveals her gender, but the two lovers still cannot be together. Shanbo, destroyed by the pain dies, and Yingtai follows the same destiny crying on his tumb. Two butterflies fly around the tomb they share.
We are looking for 4 versatile and talented performer:
- Zhu Yingtai - Asian female 15-25 years old - actress/singer (soprano-mezzo soprano)/ dancer (simple choreographies) Description: a young, very pretty and extremely intelligent chinese woman, from a rich family. She is sensitive, very strong minded and strong willed. Her open heart and open mind stimulate an insatiable thirst of knowledge. But she is only a human being and love will take over.
- Liang Shanbo: Asian male 15-25 years old - actor/singer (tenor/baritone)/ dancer Description: a young man, quite handsome man, from a poor but educated family. He is funny, kind, smart and supportive. He is a good student and friend. He would do anything for Yingtai.
- Schoolmates: N. 2 Asian males 15-25 years old actors/singers (tenor or baritone)/ dancer (simple choreographies)
- Rehearsals: during August and the first week of September. Probably evening time.
- Performances: 9-15 September at the Tristan Bates theatre.
- Pay: part of the expenses will be refunded.
Please apply with any relevant experience and with footage of you singing / a showreel if you have one sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. And we will arrange a slot for you for the casting.
The casting will be held on the 9th and the 10th of July from 5pm.
Jiaxuan and Anna - Producers of Butterfly Lovers.
Facebook page: Butterfly Lovers - A New Musical
Chinese Translation & Play Script Writing Competition 2018
Notice: 'Chinese Translation & Play Script Writing Competition 2018' - Entry now open. Please submit entires by 31 May 2018.
Entry requirements - Participants need to:
- Translate either the synopsis of “The Injustice to Dou E” and the extract of “The Ballad of Mulan” into English.
- Write one scene of a play script based upon your translated synopsis.
Timeline and further information:
- 25 April: Call for Entries
- By 31 May: Submission of entries. Participants should submit the completed registration form, translation and script writing entry as well as a statement for originality of the work and copyright by email to email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 June: Announcement of results and awards
- Three entries will be awarded based on the best translation of the texts. Winners will receive a certificate from the Confucius Institute, and their work will be published online. They will also have an opportunity to choose one of the short courses offered by the Confucius Institute (including Mandarin Chinese, martial arts, music and dance etc.) and take 5 consecutive sessions free of charge.
- There will be award given to the writer of the best script. The winner will receive a budget of £500-£1000 to create a live production of their script. The winner will have the opportunity to work with experts and professionals from the Goldsmiths Confucius Institute, as well as have the possibility of taking their production on tour.
Please download and complete the following forms, and return these to email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org.