Opportunities within The Confucius Institute
We support our students in applying for a range scholarships to fund study abroad opportunities in China. These are a selection of some of the scholarships available to students.
Confucius Institute Scholarship
The Confucius Institute Scholarship aims to foster Chinese language learning and facilitate the promotion of Chinese language and culture. The scholarship covers tuition fees, accommodation costs and living expenses during the scholarship holder's time studying at the host institution in China.
The Confucius Institute scholarship supports outstanding students recommended by Confucius Institutes to study in universities in China.
Students are required to show their dedication to the study of Chinese language and culture and must, therefore, meet several scholarship criteria (released shortly before online applications open each year) including successfully passing Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi (HSK) examinations.
Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship
The Beijing Municipal Government Scholarship, otherwise known as the Freshman Scholarship, is funded by Beijing Municipal Government. The scholarship aims to fully or partially fund tuition fees for international students studying in Beijing.
This scholarship is given to students who have proven their diligence in their studies and is, therefore, dependant upon attendance and grades.
Students are only eligible for this scholarship if they are not currently in receipt of a scholarship issued by Beijing Municipal Government or Hanban.
Application & Registration
During our undergraduate students' year abroad and for graduated students studying for an additional year in China, we work with one of our partner universities (Capital Normal University) to apply for this scholarship on your behalf, therefore, it is not necessary to make individual applications for this scholarship.
Summer Camp to China
To provide students learning Chinese language or Chinese artistic disciplines with the opportunity to experience some of the many facets of traditional Chinese culture in person, Goldsmiths Confucius Institute for Dance and Performance oversees annual summer trips to China supported by Hanban headquarters.
The trip takes place over two weeks in mid-July, during which time participants will visit a number of different locations in China. Chinese language courses and cultural workshops as well as tours and visits to local sites and attractions will be arranged by local univiersities in China.
In past summer camps, participants have had the opportunity to visit historical and cultural attractions in cities such as Beijing, Zhenjiang, Suzhou and Shanghai in order to complement their studies and enrich their understanding of Chinese culture.
In accordance with the stipulations set by Hanban headquarters in China, eligibility and requirements are as follows:
- Participants must be at least aged 15 at the time of application.
- Participants must not have previously participated in any summer camp to China supported by Hanban.
- Participants must have completed a minimum of 40 hours of studies (Mandarin or art) at Goldsmiths Confucius Institute - those who have registered, but not completed 40 hours of classes with Goldsmiths Confucius Institute are also eligible to apply.
- Participants must have previously sat for a Hanyu Shuiping (HSK) examination. Registration for HSK examinations hosted by Goldsmiths Confucius Institute can be made via HSK examinations on our Eventbrite.
Application & Registration
Places are limited and are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
Registration for the 2020 Summer Camp to China will open in the spring term.
The Summer Camp Scholarship will cover relevant expenses according to courses and cultural activities arrangements including：
- Accommodation (twin rooms)
- Transport within China
- Meals within China
- Tuition fees and costs of tours and activities within China
Participants are responsible for paying:
- Registration fee (£30 non-refundable)
- International round-trip travelling expenses
- Chinese visa application fee
- Deposit (£250 to secure your place. This will be refunded once the camp ends. The deposit is non-refundable in the case of absence for any reason.)
- Any additional individual expenses not listed in the above arrangements.