The China Summer Camp will provide young people with the opportunity to experience Chinese culture in person.
Primary page content
Goldsmiths Confucius Institute will be offering 10 scholarships for the 2024 summer camp to China. Applications will open in spring 2024.
The summer camp will last 2 weeks during the summer months and the scholarship covers the cost of domestic travel and cultural tours of two cities within China (Beijing and Wuhan), which will be supported by Beijing Dance Academy (BDA) and Central China Normal University (CCNU).
Both universities will be collaboratively hosting the participants and assist with courses and cultural activities. The participants will visit the historical and cultural attractions in Beijing and Wuhan to experience the rich Chinese culture and see China first-hand.
In accordance with the stipulations set, eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Participants must have sat for HSK 2 or YCT 3 or above examination certificate (you can register and take HSK exams at Goldsmiths Confucius Institute exam centre if needed)
- Participants must be aged between 14 and 30
- Participants must not have participated in the Summer or Winter Camp before
- Participants must be Goldsmiths CI students (participants must at least join 1 intensive or short course prior to entry)
- Short Chinese language courses, which are taught by experienced Chinese teachers
- Chinese culture experiences courses, such as calligraphy and Chinese painting, taster courses in Chinese Dance and tai chi, etc
- Meeting with Chinese students and local residents to discuss learning, exchange ideas on aspects of life, and make new friends
- Visiting the historic cultural centre of Beijing and exploring the city's rich history and culture by visiting the Great Wall and the Forbidden City; Visiting the international, cosmopolitan city of Wuhan to feel its charm and customs. Through visits and tours, you will feel the combination of China's modern cities and its ancient culture, and the very different natural sceneries and customs between the north and the south
- Goldsmiths Confucius Institute also offer intensive HSK training to help students prepare for the winter school.
Places are fully funded, the programme will cover all relevant expenses in China, including：
- Accommodation in China
- Transport within China
- Intensive Mandarin language tuition
- Cultural activities (such as, Chinese opera, Chinese bookbinding, Chinese art courses, etc.)
- Meals within China
- Cultural excursions and city tours
Participants are responsible for paying:
- International round-trip travelling expenses
- Chinese visa application fee
- Deposit (£250 to secure your place. This will be refunded once the camp ends. The deposit is non-refundable in the case of absence for any reason)
- Extra individual expenses excluding those listed above
Application and Registration
The registration deadline will be in spring 2024, after this, we will send you further information, along with details on how and when to pay the deposit and complete the next steps.
Places are limited and are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
Confucius Summer Camp 2019
Photos from a previous trip to China