Sara writes and edits fiction for children and teens. Her new series Chasing Danger is an action-adventure series for tweens. Dark Parties, her first young adult novel, won the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators Crystal Kite Award for Europe. Her next teen novel – Half Lives – is a story told in two voices from a pre- and post-apocalyptic time. She also writes a funny magical series for young readers, titled Magic Trix.
As a freelance editor of series fiction, she has worked on twelve different series and edited nearly 100 books. She has given writing workshops in the US, UK and Europe. She co-founded Undiscovered Voices – which has launched the writing careers of thirty-two authors, who now have written more than 120 children’s books. Sara was born and raised in Washington, Indiana. She graduated from Indiana University with degrees in journalism and psychology, and later she earned a master’s degree in creative and life writing at Goldsmiths College, University of London. She lives in London.
- Indiana University College of Arts and Sciences, Bloomington, IN
- A. in Journalism and Psychology, May 1990, Grade Point Average 3.48 (on 4.0 scale)
- New School University, New York, NY
- Progress toward master’s degree in Media Studies (12 credit hours), August 2002 to August 2003, Grade Point Average 3.9 (on 4.0 scale)
- Goldsmiths College, University of London, Creative and Life Writing MA program, London
- September 2004 to September 2006, Assessment Mark 71 (distinction).
Sara served as the tutor for the University of Winchester’s master’s in writing for children. She taught the ‘Writing for the Early Years’ course in 2014 and 2015. She has given creative writing workshos in the US, UK and Europe. She visits nearly fifty primary and secondary schools a year, giving assemblies and workshops on writing.