Coordinator of the BA English Programme and Convenor of Approaches to Text.
- BA (Hons) English Literature and French Language and Literature, Tel Aviv University (1997)
- MA Publishing Studies, City University London (2002)
- MA English Studies: Literature, Culture and Modernity, Queen Mary University of London (2005)
- PhD in English, Queen Mary University of London (2010)
- EN51002C Approaches to Text: Module Convenor
- EN51014A Explorations in Literature and Writing
- Effective Academic Writing
- Practical Academic Skills and Strategies
- EN71098A Between Languages: Multilingualism and Translation in Contemporary Literature
- EN71093A Translation Theory and Practice
My interests lie in twentieth-century and contemporary world literature. Much of my work investigates the intersection of literature and language in transnational contexts, such as migration and exile. Among the areas I explore are literary translingualism and the representation of translation in contemporary fiction. Other areas of interest include literatures of the Middle East and diasporic Jewish identity.
My monograph Translingual Identities: Language and the Self in Stefan Heym and Jakov Lind was published in 2013 (Camden House). It focuses on two German-speaking Jewish authors who, forced into exile by the rise of Nazism, chose English as a medium of artistic expression. I recently co-edited, with Rachael Gilmour, the collection Multilingual Currents in Literature, Translation, and Culture (Routledge, 2018). This interdisciplinary collection engages with contemporary questions around the circulation of literature and culture in a globalized world.
Steinitz, Tamar. 2013. Translingual Identities: Language and the Self in Stefan Heym and Jakov Lind. Camden House. ISBN 978-1571135476
Gilmour, Rachael and Steinitz, Tamar, eds. 2018. Multilingual Currents in Literature, Translation, and Culture. New York: Routledge. ISBN 9781138120532
Gilmour, Rachael and Steinitz, Tamar. 2018. Introduction. In: Rachael Gilmour and Tamar Steinitz, eds. Multilingual Currents in Literature, Translation, and Culture. New York: Routledge, pp. 1-15. ISBN 9781138120532
Steinitz, Tamar. 2008. 'In Other Words: Jakov Lind’s Translingual Autobiography'. In: Falco Pfalzgraf and Felicity Rash, eds. Anglo-German Linguistic Relations. Oxford: Verlag Peter Lang, pp. 161-173. ISBN 978-3039116560
Steinitz, Tamar. 2013. Back Home: Translation, Conversion and Domestication in Leila Aboulela's The Translator. Interventions: International Journal of Postcolonial Studies, 15(3), pp. 365-382. ISSN 1369-801X
Steinitz, Tamar. 2013. 'Back Home: Translation, Conversion and Domestication in Leila Aboulela's The Translator', Interventions. Interventions: International Journal of Postcolonial Studies, 15(3), pp. 365-382. ISSN 1369-801X