In addition to the well-established and highly regarded PGCE, Goldsmiths is delighted to be working in partnership with schools to offer School Direct, a school-led route into teaching.
This new path into teaching is a way to gain the qualifications and practical skills you need to become a teacher while learning on the job. You'll be based in a school while you study.
Courses last for one full academic year (September - July) and involve two placements. Although you will not be able to choose where your placements will be, the lead school will do their best to place you near your home.
Successful completion leads to a PGCE with Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). There is a strong likelihood that your school may offer employment afterwards.
Where can I study?
Read a list of School Direct courses & codes here: SD Courses & Codes
Partner schools list: SD Schools in Partnership with Goldsmiths
- Training place School Direct route: a minimum of 5 days experience in a state school, preferably with the same age group you’d like to work with i.e. primary or secondary
- Salaried School Direct route: three or more years of paid employment in any field
- Award of a degree at 2.2 or above. Please see either our Primary page or Secondary page for further information relating to your specialist subject
- Satisfactory UK fitness to train checks (including an enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service)
- Satisfactory occupational health check from your GP, plus the return of completed self-declaration of suitability form
- A pass in the professional skills tests for trainee teachers providing original certificates of academic qualifications to the admissions office.
There are some differences between applying for a PGCE and applying via School Direct route. Applications are mainly handled by the Lead School and they are much more involved in your selection and recruitment.
The interview process is also different - you will be interviewed by the University and the Lead School and the final decision following your interview will be made in jointly between the University tutor and the Lead School member of staff.
Applications can be made through UCAS, for up to date application openings and deadlines, please visit: https://www.ucas.com
Funding your studies
Unsalaried, tuition fee students will pay £9,250. Salaried students will be paid by the school. EU and home students can apply to the Student Loans Company for a tuition fee loan.
You may also be eligible for a bursary if you are following the Training place route. You don't need to apply for these - if you meet the eligibility criteria you will automatically begin receiving payments. Find out more on Get into Teaching site.
Visit the 'Get into Teaching' pages for more details. If you would like to find out more about the School Direct PGCE programmes we offer, or our Core Provision, then please see the Goldsmiths centred PGCE pages or email tep (@gold.ac.uk).
Upcoming Open days: