Before that she was a teacher, senior manager and Literacy Consultant in the London borough of Lambeth and also managed various multi agency ‘Narrowing the Gap’ projects. She was also a Raising Achievement Research manager working with various Local Authorities to explore barriers faced by different community groups in the education system and ways in which they might be overcome.
Her work explores how ‘race’ and social class shape children’s experiences in the education system.
- PhD Institute of Education, UCL 2012
- MA Education, Development and Gender, Institute of Education, UCL 2005
- PGCE Primary Roehampton Institute Froebel College 1992
- PGCE Primary
- MA Education, Culture and Identity
- BA Education, Culture and Society
- PhD supervision
Area of supervision
The impact of ‘race’ and social class on students’ experiences of education
- Lewis, K. (2016) Helping mixed heritage children build resilience in schools. Improving Schools. DO1: 10.1177/ 136548021 6650311. SAGE
- Lewis, K. and Demie, F. (2015) Raising the Achievement of white working class pupils: good practice in schools. Review of Education DOI: 10.1002/ rev3.3037 (also Context and Implications document)
- Demie, F and Lewis, K. (2011) White working class achievement: an ethnographic study of barriers to learning in schools. Educational Studies, Vol. 3: 3, 245-264
- Demie, F and Lewis, K. (2009) 'Raising the Achievement of Portuguese pupils in British schools: a case study of good practice' Educational Studies, 36: 1, 95- 109
- Demie, F., Lewis, K and Taplin, A (2005) ‘Pupil Mobility in schools and implications for raising achievement’ Educational Studies, 31: 2, 131-147.
Publications and research outputs
Lewis, Kirstin and Pearce, Sarah. 2022. High attaining students, marketisation and the absence of care: everyday experiences in an urban academy. Pedagogy, Culture and Society, 30(2), pp. 261-280. ISSN 1468-1366
Pearce, Sarah and Lewis, Kirstin. 2019. Changing attitudes to cultural difference: perceptions of Muslim families in English schools. Cambridge Journal of Education, 49(1), pp. 1-14. ISSN 0305-764X
Lewis, Kirstin and Demie, Feyisa. 2019. The school experiences of mixed race white and black Caribbean children in England. Ethnic and Racial Studies, 42(12), pp. 2065-2083. ISSN 0141-9870
Demie, Feyisa and Lewis, Kirstin. 2018. Raising achievement of English as additional language pupils in schools: implications for policy and practice. Educational Review, 70(4), pp. 427-446. ISSN 0013-1911
Lewis, Kirstin. 2016. Helping mixed heritage children develop 'character and resilience' in schools. Improving Schools, 19(3), pp. 197-211. ISSN 1365-4802
Lewis, Kirstin and Demie, Feyisa. 2015. Raising the achievement of white working class pupils: good practice in schools. Review of Education, 3(1), pp. 1-21.
Lewis, Kirstin and Demie, Feyisa. 2011. 'White Working Class Achievement: an ethnographic study of barriers to learning in schools'. Educational Studies, 37(3), pp. 245-264. ISSN 0305-5698
Lewis, Kirstin and Demie, Feyisa. 2010. 'Raising the Achievement of Portuguese pupils in British schools: a case study of good practice'. Educational Studies, 36(1), pp. 95-109. ISSN 0305-5698
Lewis, Kirstin; Demie, Feyisa and McLean, Christabel. 2007. Raising Achievement of Somali pupils: Good practice in London schools. Lambeth Education,
Lewis, Kirstin; Demie, Feyisa and McLean, Christabel. 2006. The Achievement of African Heritage pupils in Lambeth Schools. Lambeth Education,
Lewis, Kirstin; Demie, Feyisa and Taplin, Anne. 2005. Pupil Mobility in schools and implications for raising achievement. Educational Studies, 31(2), pp. 131-147. ISSN 0305-5698