Ordinance 18: Appointment to established Chairs or Readerships
18.1 This procedure is made within the terms of the Regulations of the University of London.
18.2 The Council may, after consideration of the views of the Academic Board where this is required by College Statutes, establish posts to be held by Professors and Readers of the University.
18.3 The College may disestablish, rename, or otherwise modify Chairs and Readerships, subject to the terms of any relevant trust deeds.
18.4 The College may appoint a person as Professor or Reader of the University who is, or will become on a specific date, an employee of the College.
18.5 In appointing a person as a Professor regard shall be had to the person's national/international standing in the relevant subject or profession as established by outstanding contributions to its advancement through publications, creative work or other appropriate forms of scholarship, and through teaching and administration.
18.6 In appointing a person as a Reader or conferring the title of Reader regard shall be had to the person's standing and promise in the relevant subject or professions as established by important contributions to its advancement through publications, creative work or other appropriate forms of scholarship and through teaching. Other contributions to the work of the College, the University, learned societies and other relevant bodies may also be taken into account.
18.7 Appointments to Established Chairs and Readerships shall be made by a College committee constituted to include the following:
(1) the Warden or his or her designated representative as Chair
(2) least two persons external to the College expert in the discipline concerned of whom one shall, wherever the College deem it practical and appropriate, be from another College, Institute or Associated Institution of the University. Such persons shall be of appropriate seniority and familiar with the criteria for Professorships and Readerships of research-based universities in the UK
(3) at least one member with experience of similar appointments in other fields
(4) a member or members of the academic staff of the College knowledgeable in the discipline concerned and
(5) a further member at the discretion of the Warden.
18.8 When a decision has been reached, it will be reported to the Vice-Chancellor of the University of London.