Appeals & Complaints

In this section


During your time at Goldsmiths, you may be dissatisfied with your student experience, or be concerned about conduct issues. These matters are dealt with by the Appeals and Complaints team. Information about the team's work and contact details can be found below.

If you are worried about the impact that strike action may have on your studies, please read our Industrial Action Complaints guidance.

If you are worried about the impact of Covid-19 on teaching or life on campus, please read the College guidance. This is being updated regularly. It may not be possible to deal with your concerns through the Student Complaints procedure – see our Complaints page.

In term time we are available twice each week - Monday 11am - 12 noon and Thursday 3pm until 4pm. The Covid-19 emergency means that we cannot offer meetings or drop-ins but we will be available by phone.

You can also email us at any time: complaints (

We offer a confidential service to all students.

We can discuss how to try to resolve concerns informally, and the procedure for making a formal complaint or appeal. We will help you to understand the procedures and how to get support if you need it.

We want to make the process accessible. Our aim is to ensure that we can offer a fair and reasonable outcome to your complaint.

Contact us

Email: appeals ( or complaints (

Please use email to contact us so far as possible as the office is closed until the Covid-19 emergency is over.

Only use our mobile number during 'Drop-in' times or if a matter is extremely urgent: 07864 943779

Academic Appeals

Kazuo Shiraga Art

Students have the right to request a review of a decision made by an Exam Board which concerns their progression, assessment or award.

If a student believes their assessment(s) to have been compromised by extenuating circumstances which they were unable to communicate to the examiners at the appropriate time, by administrative or procedural error, or by prejudice or bias on the part of the examiners, they may submit an appeal against assessment.

Students must have received their Transcript of Results or Outcome Letter (PGR) before they can appeal. 

Students can also appeal a decision of Academic Progress Committee, or challenge academic misconduct decisions.

Student Complaints

Kazuo Shiraga Art

Though every effort is made to ensure that all students have a positive experience during their time at the College, it is recognised that sometimes students may be dissatisfied with an aspect of their experience here. Should a student wish to, they may submit a complaint. Complaints may be academic, for example, relate to problems with module delivery or study. They may also be non-academic, for example about issues with support services or accommodation. Personal complaints about behaviour of staff or students can also be raised through the complaints procedure (and we will let you know how these complaints will then be looked into). Further information on student complaints and the complaints process. Further information on student complaints and the complaints process.

Student Conduct

Kazuo Shiraga Art

Goldsmiths expects a certain standard of behaviour from its students. Those students who prejudice the good order and discipline of the College, or by their conduct bring the College into disrepute, may have formal misconduct proceedings initiated against them. Misconduct offences may be academic or non-academic. More information here.

Fitness to Practice

Kazuo Shiraga Art

A student’s conduct may also call into question their fitness to practice, where the student is enrolled on a programme of study which leads to an entitlement to practise as a member of a profession. A student who has an allegation regarding their fitness to practice brought against them by their department will be summoned to appear before a Fitness to Practice Committee.


Kazuo Shiraga Art

Mediation is a method of conflict resolution which attempts to resolve a dispute between two parties by introducing an impartial ‘mediator’ to assist them in negotiating a settlement. The role of a mediator is to assist the parties in understanding each other's needs and facilitating communication, whilst also introducing new perspectives on the issue in dispute. A student can at any point request mediation from the Mediation Coordinator through the Appeals and Complaints Department.

Attendance & Academic Progress Committee

Kazuo Shiraga Art

Students who continually exhibit poor attendance are referred by their departments to Academic Progress Committee [APC] with a recommendation for dismissal. APC is a committee of Academic Board, and though it is distinct from the Appeals & Complaints Department its administration is run out of our office. Students dismissed by APC may submit a request for review to the Appeals & Complaints Department within three weeks of being notified of the Committee's decision.