Tier 5 visas


There are a number of different routes within the Tier 5 visa category. We have summarised the main ones for you below but if you need any more information, get in touch with us.

Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme

The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme is a two year work visa.

Who Can Apply?

You can apply if you are between the ages of 18-30. 

You must have £1890 in your personal bank account on the day that you apply. 

You can apply if you are a national of one of the following Countries:- Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of Korea, Taiwan, British Overseas Citizens, Overseas Territories Citizens and British Nationals Overseas (there is no limit on applications from the last three categories, otherwise places are limited).

You can only apply once for this visa and you cannot apply if you have previously held a visa under the Working Holidaymakers Scheme.  You also cannot apply if you have children that live with you or whom you are financially responsible for nor can you bring family as your dependents, they would only be able to apply as a General Visitor if they wished to visit you in the UK.

Where can you apply?

You need to apply from your Home Country, you cannot make an application from within the UK.

If you are from the Republic of Korea, Taiwan or Hong Kong, you need to register your interest in the scheme and usually registration is only open for a short period.  You will also need to obtain a certificate of sponsorship reference number and apply within 3 months of receiving this. The Home Office has full details on how to register

Tier 5 Temporary Worker categories

You may also be interested in applying to become a Tier 5 Temporary Worker for one to two years, for which there are five categories.  In order to apply for one of these schemes you must have a Tier 5 sponsor who will issue you with a Certificate of Sponsorship, (a COS).  The UKVI have a list of Tier 5 sponsors [pdf] and a separate list of Tier 5 (Government authorized exchange sponsors [pdf]

Generally you will need to make a visa application overseas and you will need to show that you have held £945 in your bank account for 90 consecutive days, unless your sponsor is able to 'certify your maintenance'

You can bring dependents under this category.

(1) Creative and Sporting

If you are an outstanding sportsperson or an actor, dancer or film crew member this visa might be for you.

(2) Charity Workers

This is for those interested in volunteering as a charity worker.

(3) Religious Workers

For those wanting to preach or work in a religious order.

(4) Government Authorised Exchange

This visa is for those wishing to come to the UK for a short period of time to undertake work experience or training, an overseas Government Language Programme, research or a fellowship through an approved government authorized exchange scheme [pdf].

If you are being sponsored to undertake a period of professional training or work experience which is required to obtain a professional qualification or professional registration in the same field as your UK qualification, or you are being sponsored for up to 12 months to undertake an internship relating to your UK qualification, you may be able to apply for this visa from within the UK, if:

  1. You have Tier 4 student leave or pre-Tier 4 student leave. 
  2. You obtained a UK recognized degree during your recent grant of leave.
  3. Your employer does not intend to employ you in the UK once your training/work experience has ended.

(5) International Agreement

This category may apply to you if while in the UK you are contracted to do work covered by international law, examples might be working for a foreign government or as a private servant in a diplomatic household.