Working in the UK after your studies


Find out about working with your Tier 4 visa after your course has ended

After your course has ended, you should have a little bit of additional time on your Tier 4 visa to remain in the UK.

How much extra time you have will depend on the total length of your course:

  • Less than 6 months = 7 days
  • Between 6 months and 12 months = 2 months
  • 12 months or more = 4 months
  • Students sponsored under the Tier 4 Pilot scheme = 6 months

The end date of your course is the official end date of your course as stated on your Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement. It's this end date that UK Visas and Immigration will use to calculate how much extra time to give you after your studies.

As soon as your official course end date arrives, you can work full time until your visa expires providing you have successfully completed your studies.

However, you are still expected to observe the working conditions attached to your visa which include:

  • Not filling a permanent vacancy (unless you have applied for a Tier 2 visa and completed a degree level qualification or higher. If so you can start work even if it's a permanent vacancy)
  • Not becoming self-employed (unless you have applied for a Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa. If so you can start working on your business while you wait to hear back from the Home Office)
  • Not working as a professional sportsperson or entertainer

If you apply for the Doctorate Extension Scheme you can fill a permanent vacancy, be self-employed or work as a professional entertainer as long as you have successfully completed your qualification.

We do not recommend that you travel during the period from your course completion date to your visa expiry date if you wish to remain in the UK during this period, since you may have trouble re-entering the UK if you are no longer studying.