Registering with the police


Find out who needs to register with the police and how you can do this.

Some students may need to register with the police. If you are required to register with the police then you need to do this within 7 days of either arriving in the UK or receiving your new visa if you applied inside the UK. You could be fined £5,000 and jailed for 6 months if you don’t register with the police. Registering late can count against you next time you apply for a visa. 


Who needs to register?

If you live in the area of London covered by the Metropolitan Police, you must register at Overseas Visitors Records Office.

You will only need to register in the following circumstances:

  1. If you are aged 16 or over and
  2. You are coming to the UK for more than 6 months and
  3. You are a national of one of the countries listed below
  4. Your temporary visa (issued in your passport before you arrived in the UK) confirms 'pol registration', or your decision letter (if you extended your visa inside the UK) says that you need to register with the police

Police registration countries

  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Argentina
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Belarus
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • China
  • Colombia
  • Cuba
  • Egypt
  • Georgia
  • Hong Kong (Special Administrative Region)
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Israel
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kuwait
  • Kyrgyzstan
  • Lebanon
  • Libya
  • Macao (Special Administrative Region)
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • North Korea
  • Oman
  • Palestine
  • Peru
  • Qatar
  • Russia
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Tajikistan
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey
  • Turkmenistan
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Ukraine
  • Uzbekistan
  • Yemen

How to register

To register you will need to complete a registration form on your computer, then print it out and sign it. We have created a short video that takes you through how to complete the form.

You will then need to take the following things with you to the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO)

  • your completed form
  • one UK passport sized photo (45mm x 35mm)
  • your passport (containing your vignette)
  • your BRP card
  • your decision letter if you extended your visa inside the UK, and
  • £34 registration fee

Their address is: 323 Borough High Street, London, SE1 1JL

The OVRO are open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 9am to 4pm, but are closed on UK public holidays and bank holidays

There are certain times of year when the OVRO are very busy, so they cannot see everyone on the same day that they attend their office. When this is the case they will give you an appointment to come back on another day.

Notifying the police about changes

You must tell the police if any of the information you’ve given them changes. You can do this by taking your registration certificate to where you initially registered or to your local police station. You need to notify the police every time you change address or get a new visa, you should do this within 7 days of the change. You can check whether a change needs to be reported at the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) or your local police station on the OVRO website.