Taking a break from study


Check here for details about taking a break from your studies and the possible visa implications.

If you would like to interrupt your studies you need to complete an interruption form found on "taking an absence/interruption/break page"  You should speak to your senior tutor before completing this form to discuss your situation, as they may be able to provide academic advice and support.

If you have a Tier 4 visa, an interruption could affect your visa status in the UK.

Goldsmiths will normally notify the Home Office within 10 days of your interruption, and this could lead to your visa being cut short. The Immigration Advisory Service should normally contact you if your interruption will affect your visa. 

If your visa expires in more than 60 days

Your visa will be cancelled and your new expiry date will be 60 days after the date UKVI write to you via email.  You should assume that you have 60 days to leave the UK from the date that we write to you confirming that we will be reporting your visa to the Home Office. If you do not receive an email from the Immigration team about your interruption within 7 days of submitting your form, you need to contact us as soon as possible.

If your visa expires in less than 60 days

The UKVI should let you keep your visa until it ends. You should make arrangements to leave on or before your visa expiry date if this applies to you.

The Immigration Advisory Service will write to you at the point we notify the Home Office about your interruption to let you know and so that you can make arrangements to leave the UK as soon as possible.

Resuming your studies

When you plan to return to your studies, you will need to re-apply for a new Tier 4 visa. Please do not try to use your old visa as this will have been cancelled. You will need to request a new Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) statement, and we will have to assess your eligibility before we can issue you with a new CAS. Email immigration about 3 months before you plan to return so that we can help you with the process.