Short-term study visas

You can apply for a Short-term study visa if you can only intend to stay inside the UK for up to 6 months.

Primary page content

Changes due to Covid-19 (Coronavirus)

Short-term students who have been given an exceptional extension of leave in this category as a result of Covid-19 will be permitted to study on a further course other than that which they originally entered the UK to undertake. 

There is no provision in the Immigration Rules to make an in-country application to extend leave in the short-term study category. A student who wishes to extend their leave as a short-term student will need to make an application for leave outside the Immigration Rules

Switching into the Tier 4 visa from Short-term routes inside the UK (including Visit and Short-Term Study visa) will be allowed on an exceptional basis. Applicants must still meet the other requirements of the route such as maintenance (living costs). This will be allowed until 31 July 2020, at which point the concession will be reviewed by the Home Office.

The 'short-term student' category will allow you to come to the UK if you are 16 years or older and satisfy one of the following conditions:

  • If you have an unconditional offer for an accredited short course at Goldsmiths or going to join our Study Abroad programme for 1 term
  • Please note that we are not able to offer visa support for the following short courses
  • If you are enrolled on a course equivalent to a UK Bachelor's degree overseas and plan to come to Goldsmiths for up to 6 months to carry out research as part of your overseas study
  • If you are an Exchange or Study Abroad student
  • If you are retaking some of your exams or coursework or need to attend a viva and need to re-enter the UK after your Tier 4 visa has expired

You must have enough money to support yourself during your stay, including any tuition and accommodation fees, in addition to living costs.

Applying for a Short-term study visa

If you are a visa national, you must apply for entry clearance before you come to the UK. This means you have to apply for your visa before you travel. See below for a list of visa nationals.

If you are a non-visa national, you can usually obtain entry at the border by providing a copy of your letter. Please do not use the electronic gates to enter the UK if you are obtaining your visa at the border; it is important that you see a border officer and show them the letter from us. If you go through the gates instead you will be entering with a tourist visa, and will not be able to study with us. In some circumstances applying for prior entry, clearance is recommended, especially if you have a complex case in these circumstances you should follow the process of a visa national.

If you have to apply in advance of your travel, it usually costs £97 for a standard 6-month Short-term study visa.

You should bring anything you submitted with your application with you when you travel, as the Border Officials may still ask to see these documents when you arrive.

There is no minimum English language level required to apply for this type of visa and you can study full or part-time.

Your visa when in the UK

  • You cannot do any kind of work or work placement/internship even as part of your studies
  • You have to intend to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your course or before your visa expiry date (whichever is the earliest)
  • You cannot apply or switch to any other category of visa while in the UK, and cannot extend your visa
  • You need to return home and apply for a fresh visa if you need to return to the UK

You must not intend to use this visa route frequently/successively. Frequent use is defined by UKVI as seeking a second period of leave under the Short-term study route where less than 2 months have passed since you last visited the UK for the purposes of the short-term study. Successive use is defined by UKVI as applying in excess of 5 periods of leave under short-term study within a 5 year period

Visa nationals

If you are a national of one of the list countries, you will need to apply for a visa before you travel:

  • Afghanistan
  • Albania
  • Algeria
  • Angola
  • Armenia
  • Azerbaijan
  • Bahrain
  • Bangladesh
  • Belarus
  • Benin
  • Bhutan
  • Bolivia
  • Bosnia Herzegovina (see note 4)
  • Burkina Faso
  • Burma
  • Burundi
  • Cambodia
  • Cameroon
  • Cape Verde
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • People's Republic of China (see note 3)
  • Colombia
  • Comoros
  • Congo
  • Cuba
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Djibouti
  • Dominican Republic
  • Ecuador
  • Egypt
  • Equatorial Guinea
  • Eritrea
  • Ethiopia
  • Fiji
  • Gabon
  • Gambia
  • Georgia
  • Ghana
  • Guinea
  • Guinea Bissau
  • Guyana
  • Haiti
  • India
  • Indonesia
  • Iran
  • Iraq
  • Ivory Coast
  • Jamaica
  • Jordan
  • Kazakhstan
  • Kenya
  • Korea (North)
  • Kuwait Kyrgyzstan
  • Laos
  • Lebanon
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Libya
  • Macedonia
  • Madagascar
  • Malawi
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Moldova
  • Mongolia
  • Morocco
  • Mozambique
  • Nepal
  • Niger
  • Nigeria
  • Oman (see note 1)
  • Pakistan
  • Peru
  • Philippines
  • Qatar (see note 1)
  • Russia
  • Rwanda
  • Sao Tome e Principe
  • Saudi Arabia
  • Senegal
  • Serbia
  • Sierra Leone
  • Somalia
  • South Africa
  • South Sudan
  • Sri Lanka
  • Sudan
  • Surinam
  • Swaziland
  • Syria
  • Taiwan (see note 2)
  • Tajikistan
  • Tanzania
  • Thailand
  • Togo
  • Tunisia
  • Turkey Turkmenistan
  • Uganda
  • Ukraine
  • United Arab Emirates (see note 1)
  • Uzbekistan
  • Venezuela
  • Vietnam
  • Yemen
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

1 - unless you are using an Electronic Visa Waiver document
2 - unless you are using a passport issued by a competent authority in Taiwan containing your identification card number
3 - except individuals with passports issued by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region or Macao Special Administrative Region
4 - including the territories formerly comprising the socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia