Licences and guides

Copyright Licences (current year)

CLA Higher Education Licence
Newspaper Licencing Agency (NLA)Licence
Educational Recording Agency ERA and ERA Plus Licence

Copyright and IP Regulations

All use of copyright materials at Goldsmiths must be in accordance with copyright law including the Copyright Designs and Patents Act (CDPA) 1988 and subsequent amending legislation, the Copyright (Visually Impaired Persons) Act 2002, copyright licences held by the College and Regulations.

Copyright in the university

Copyright is a property right whose main purpose is to allow the author or creator of a work to control and exploit its use.

Copyright works can be copied for certain purposes under the "fair dealing" principle without breaching copyright. This will often apply in the university when copying or citing for the purpose of research and private study or for the purpose of criticism and review. Fair dealing applies to limited extracts and other people's works should always be acknowledged using the academic practice of citation. When copying and distribution go beyond fair dealing, further licences, permissions, investigations and risk assessments are required.

Guidelines for working with copyright licences

1. Scans for the VLE

Scans for the VLE must be provided and recorded by the Library and all requests should be made using the Goldsmiths Digital Copy Request form. The licence allows for some works, owned by the College or copyright-cleared, to be scanned for distribution in the VLE. The Library can give detailed advice on the provisions of the licence. The Library sends an annual return to the CLA on behalf of the College.  The Library does not charge departments for this service.

2. Printed course packs

Design and Print Services' request form includes a check on copyright status of material to be copied. Copyright material for use in Course Packs must either be covered by the CLA Licence, or you must have permission to copy and distribute it for that purpose. If you have been provided with a CLA checked digital copy for use in the VLE by the Library, you may under the terms of licence provide that file to Design and Print to produce a single paper copy for students on the specific course.

3. Broadcasts

Box of Broadcasts (BoB) is the off-air recording and media archive service available to staff and students of Goldsmiths as members of the British Universities Film & Video Council with an ERA+ license. This TV scheduling service allows recording of TV and radio programmes that are scheduled to be broadcast over the next seven days as well as retrieving programmes from the last seven days from a selected list of recorded channels. There is also access to an extensive archive. BoB material is accessed on the web by a streaming service similar to iPlayer and can be embedded in the VLE for access within the UK.

4. Films and sound recordings

Films may usually be shown for educational purposes under CDPA, see sections 34 and 35, but if you want to show a film or play recorded music to an audience or at an event open to the public, you are likely to require a licence. The companies Filmbank or MPLC provide licences, see the JISC legal briefing on the MPLC licence.

5. Web

When you intend to put your own and other's material on the web, you will need to make decisions about managing copyright and IPR. The Web2Rights animation on IPR in the web world and the Web2Rights IPR flowchart  will help you with these.

Bear in mind that if copyright work is shown in a College-made video (eg in a powerpoint presentation), and then put the video on the Web, this is subject to the same obligations as more direct publication of the same material would have.

6. Student work

Students own the copyright of their own work under copyright law, except as under contract.

PhD students should see the guide to Copyright in PhD theses and the registration pack for PhD examination which includes copyright permission forms.

7. GRO - Goldsmiths Research Online

The repository GRO is a showcase for research by academics at Goldsmiths. Research outputs may be made Open Access (OA) here, if the author or creator owns the copyright, or has permission from the copyright owner, often the publisher. GRO provides Creative Commons licences which can be applied to materials in the archive. The deposit guide gives more advice about copyright with a link to ROMEO the index of publishers' policies on self-archiving by academics.

8. Creative Commons

There are many resources available which can be shared, remixed and re-used freely and legally, use Search at Creative Commons (cc), or see JISC Digital Media below to find out more. Creative Commons licences can be attached to work published on the internet to indicate that it may be re-used in certain way. TaLIC can also give advice on finding such material.

OAPEN-UK Guide to Creative Commons explores issues around the use of CC licences in academic publishing


CLA User Guidelines for the HE Licence Information about size of extracts from sources and lists of exclusions for copying and inclusions for e-journals are available on the CLA website.

Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988, with revisions

- Section 29 Permitted acts for research and private study, "Fair dealing"

- Section 31 Visual impairment

- Section 34 Performing, playing or showing work educational establishment

- Section 35 Broadcasts and off-air recordings

Copyright (Visually Impaired Persons) Act 2002

Goldsmiths Library notes on images, digitisation, copyright and HE licences

Intellectual Property Office, Copyright

JISC Digital Media 'Copyright: An Overview' and much more on finding and using digital media, including copyright free and content for education.

JISC Legal 'Copyright Law Essentials'

JISC Legal 'Are FE and HE institutions required to purchase the MPLC Umbrella Licence to view pre-recorded films in public?'

UK Government Consultation on Copyright.

University of London Library Research Skills Tutorial: Copyright - an introduction to copyright for researchers.

Please note: the contents of these pages do not constitute legal advice and the College can not accept responsibility for any loss or damage incurred as a result of acting upon information provided here. The guidelines outlined here apply to the UK only.

Quick Links

Internal links

Digital Copy scanning service




Implementing Hargreaves, IPO news

Hargreaves review 2011, Digital Opportunity

Copyright for Education blog - article on release of UK Statutory Exceptions for Education, Libraries and Research, summer 2013

Downloads (PDFs)

Copyright for senior staff (PDF download)

Guidelines for working with copyright licences (PDF download) 

CLA HE Notice for display (PDF)


Email Academic Services Librarian Andrew Gray