We offer MPhil and PhD research programmes in Sociology for full or part-time study.
The Department of Sociology is home to some 40 scholars and researchers whose work is known and cited internationally.
We offer a stimulating research environment for undertaking postgraduate research in a wide range of sociological fields, including:
- race, ethnicity, religion and nationalism
- gender and social life
- sociology of culture
- inventive and sensory methods
- urban culture, world cities, economies and social exclusion
- medicine and the life-sciences, health, illness and disability
- science and technology
- children and young people
- human rights and political sociology
- socio-legal studies and global justice
- social and cultural theory
- political theory and political sociology
- philosophy of social sciences
- visual sociology
We particularly encourage cross- and interdisciplinary research in emerging fields of study and creative practice.
Our community of postgraduate researchers is an integral part of the Department's vibrant research culture. We actively foster the full participation of our research students in the work of our research Centres and Units. This includes contributing to departmental publications, running research blogs, hosting student-led seminars, conferences, and reading groups, constructing new platforms for mediated intellectual spaces, and much more.
Doing a PhD is an amazing discipline. It shapes you in terms of your career, but also personally in terms of how you think about the world and yourself. It also has the potential to make an impact on the world. To get a sense of how, come to the department to meet us and some of the students. Email us to book an appointment.
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact the Postgraduate Research Officer, Sociology.