Academic Writing and Publishing, Public Speaking and Presenting
A Saturday oral Advocacy (courtroom / moot court) course and a two-day public speaking course – that can also be taken separately. Maximum 10 people per class, with ample opportunity for individualised training and feedback on practical exercises.
This course is designed and taught by barristers and psychologists with extensive public speaking experience and expertise, and who are passionate about public speaking.
In just 1 day of intensive training, you will improve your oral advocacy performance skills; and in just 3 days you will improve your advocacy and public speaking skills. You will also learn how to deal with nerves and anxiety, and how to enjoy public speaking.
Due to tutors’ experience and expertise in psychology and human development, significant success is also expected in removing fear, nervousness and tailoring long-term self-development for natural presentation.
The first day focuses on courtroom advocacy training, where you will learn about key aspects of advocacy / moot court, including:
- Preparing for you case – selecting most relevant content from large amounts of information
- Articulating thoughts
- Presenting your case persuasively
- Advocating with minimum notes
- Dealing with difficult judges
- Tailoring your advocacy to the changing circumstances
- Using advocacy skills in meetings and other aspects of daily life
The next two days include training on all aspect of public speaking, including:
- Speech writing: preparing effective speeches e.g. keynote speeches, political campaigns speeches, wedding speeches and court closing submissions
- Delivering effective public speeches & conference presentations
- Understanding manipulative public speaking techniques
- Tactics and techniques of persuasive public speaking
- Removing fears and anxiety
- Tailoring your speech to changing reactions of an audience.
You will also have the option of continuing with an extra 3-day advanced training in public speaking immediately following this course or at a later date [Public Speaking and Presenting].
Following completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Deliver more effective submissions in court, or moot court.
- speak more clearly.
- Write better speeches.
- Understand techniques used in public speeches (e.g. by politicians’).
- Reduce fears and anxiety.
- Deliver better public speeches or presentations in conferences.
- Know how to self-develop further.
How to Apply
Please click on the date of the course you'd like to attend below. You'll be taken to Eventbrite, which is our booking system:
Cancellations up to 14 days before the course start date will incur a 20% cancellation fee. For later cancellations, or non attendance, the full course fee will be charged.
- 10% if you are taking two courses in consecutive weeks
- 20% UK students
- 25% UK Law & Society Association (UKLSA) Members
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
3 days (1 day advocacy and 2 days public speaking): £650
1 day Advocacy: £275
2 days Public Speaking: £495