Academic Writing and Publishing, Public Speaking and Presenting
A combined weekend oral Advocacy course and a two-day public speaking course – that can also be taken separately. Maximum 10 people per class, with ample opportunity for individualised training and feedback on practical exercises.
Both courses benefit from tutors’ extensive experience and expertise, including in courts and public speaking internationally.
The Advocacy (Saturday)
- This is a practical hands-on course with a number of practical exercises. In includes:Learning about advocacy in general
- Application of advocacy in practice
- Learning about the skills required for effective advocacy, including preparing for your advocacy/case, techniques of delivery for effective advocacy and psychological backgrounds of persuasion.
- PRACTICAL: Delivering submissions on real cases
- PRACTICAL: Training to improve advocacy skills using the P-E-O-P-L-E technique developed by our inter-disciplinary (law, psychology and neuroscience) trained tutors. This technique involves learning by practice and example.
Anxiety and nerves
Due to tutors’ experience and expertise in psychology and human development, significant success is expected in removing fear and nervousness.
Public Speaking (Monday and Tuesday)
This two-day course is also a practical hands-on course with a number of practical exercises.
The course will help those wishing to communicate more persuasively, effectively or enjoyably, in public speaking, meetings, and social communication – by providing the necessary knowledge of effective communication.
For those taking the Advocacy part, this two-day course will provide a solid understanding of the power of communication and how to use such an invaluable tool for persuasion in court or other advocacy undertakings. This two-day training includes:
- Learning about Public Speaking in general
- Learning about application of Public Speaking in practice
- Learning about the skills required for effective Public Speaking, including about audiences, content and the speaker.
- Improving clarity of speaking and expression.
- Learning about the invaluable skills of formulating the content of the speech (Speech writing) e.g. keynote speeches, political campaigns speeches, wedding speeches and court closing submissions
- Understanding manipulative public speaking techniquesLearning about tactics and techniques of persuasive public speaking
- Removing fears and anxietyTailoring your speech to changing reactions of an audience.
- Delivering effective public speeches & conference presentations
Those aiming for more advanced Public Speaking skills, can complement their training with an extra 3-day advanced training in public speaking immediately following this course – also available at a later date [Public Speaking and Presenting]. The extra 3-day training includes a significant amount of PRACTICE, including learning by practice and example using the P-E-O-P-L-E technique developed by our inter-disciplinary trained (law, psychology and neuroscience) tutors.
How to Apply
Please click on the date of the course you'd like to attend below. You'll be taken to Eventbrite, which is our booking system:
Cancellations up to 14 days before the course start date will incur a 20% cancellation fee. For later cancellations, or non attendance, the full course fee will be charged.
- 10% if you are taking two courses in consecutive weeks
- 20% UK students
- 25% UK Law & Society Association (UKLSA) Members
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
3 days (1 day advocacy and 2 days public speaking): £650
1 day Advocacy: £275
2 days Public Speaking: £495