Chinese classical dance has a unique identity and style, with refined and sophisticated characteristics.
Contemporary Chinese Charm Classical Dance is a rebirth of ancient Chinese dance. It absorbs Chinese operas such as beijing opera and Chinese Martial Arts such as Tai -CHI and kungfu. In addition it learned the training system of classical Ballet. It actually a hybrid movement art form with traditional Chinese aesthetics.
Chinese classical dance is a creative expression and embodiment of Chinese culture and is a part of the heritage that has been passed down through the long history of China. Chinese classical dance includes movements and postures from other artistic forms such as Chinese folk dance, traditional Chinese opera and martial arts. Focusing on the breath, it is displayed with finesse and elegance, embodying the beauty of the body in motion, and the controlled expression of strength and power.
There are many differences between Chinese Charm Classical Dance and Chinese Han-Tang Classical Dance, such as gestures, movement trajectory and force method.
This course covers:
- Knowledge of the basic background behind classical dance.
- Knowledge of the basics relating to the dance (ie stance, posture, breathing).
- Knowledge of warm-up exercises/techniques related to similar styles of dance.
- Knowledge of certain repertoires/movements that can be practised.
Goldsmiths offers a 15% concession rate on short courses to Lewisham Local cardholders.
The following participants are eligible to receive a 15% discount. Concessions are available for Goldsmiths’ staff and students, over 60s, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support claimants.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. If you require adjustments, please complete the relevant section on the booking form and also contact us at shortcourses (@gold.ac.uk) so we can respond to your requests as soon as possible.
If you are undertaking an in-person course please note that we may need to move the course online due to any unforeseen circumstances. Please note no refunds are issued for moving courses online.
Goldsmiths offers a 15% concession rate on short courses to Lewisham Local cardholders, Students and Goldsmiths Alumni.
Please note our short courses sell out quickly, so early booking is advisable.
Goldsmiths, University of London
If you have any questions about this course please contact confucius (@gold.ac.uk).
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
About the department
Goldsmiths Confucius Institute for Dance and Performance is an academic department of Goldsmiths, University of London. We specialise in Chinese language and culture as well being the first and currently, the only CI to specialise in dance, performance and the arts, and the proud winner of the Global Confucius Institute of the Year Award 2017.
- Undergraduate degree courses in Chinese language - BA (Hons) International Relations & ChineseBA (Hons) Sociology & Chinese
- Credit courses in Chinese language, Chinese history, Chinese arts and culture and Chinese philosophy (open to all Goldsmiths students)
- Evening and weekend short courses in Chinese language, Chinese dance, Chinese music and Chinese martial arts
- HSK examinations and training
- Outreach for Schools program