Chinese classical dance has a unique identity and style, with refined and sophisticated characteristics.
It is a creative expression and embodiment of Chinese culture and is a part of the heritage that has been passed down through the long history of China. Chinese classical dance includes movements and postures from other artistic forms such as Chinese folk dance, traditional Chinese opera and martial arts. Focusing on the breath, it is displayed with finesse and elegance, embodying the beauty of the body in motion, and the controlled expression of strength and power.
Why Study this Course?
- Knowledge of the basic background behind classical dance.
- Knowledge of the basics relating to the dance (ie stance, posture, breathing).
- Knowledge of warm-up exercises/techniques related to similar styles of dance.
- Knowledge of certain repertoires/movements that can be practised.
The following participants are eligible to receive a 15% discount. Concessions are available for Goldsmiths’ staff and students, over 60s, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support claimants and local Lewisham residents.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. If you require adjustments, please complete the relevant section on the booking form and also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can respond to your requests as soon as possible.
Please note that our short courses sell-out quickly, so early booking is advisable.
If you have any questions about this course please contact confucius (@gold.ac.uk).
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
Richard Hoggart Building, Room 253
Jiaolong Ma is our resident Chinese classical dance teacher.
Jiaolong is one of China's most acclaimed Chinese classical dancers. He has excelled in a wide range of dance categories, coming in first place at the Hehua Dance Competition 2015 and third place at the Tao Li Bei Dance Competitions of 2006 and 2009.
Jiaolong is a skilled performer and teacher of Chinese classical dance and will guide your through the study of this beautiful art form with passion and skill.
About the department
Goldsmiths Confucius Institute for Dance and Performance is an academic department of Goldsmiths, University of London. We specialise in Chinese language and culture as well being the first and currently, the only CI to specialise in dance, performance and the arts, and the proud winner of the Global Confucius Institute of the Year Award 2017.
- Undergraduate degree courses in Chinese language - BA (Hons) International Relations & ChineseBA (Hons) Sociology & Chinese
- Credit courses in Chinese language, Chinese history, Chinese arts and culture and Chinese philosophy (open to all Goldsmiths students)
- Evening and weekend short courses in Chinese language, Chinese dance, Chinese music and Chinese martial arts
- HSK examinations and training
- Outreach for Schools program