We are now offering many of our courses online (over Zoom or similar platforms). No prior experience with these platforms is required. Continue learning with us by taking courses remotely via live distance learning.
This course is ideal for both dancers who are interested in expanding their repertoire of styles and also beginners/enthusiasts who are interested in learning traditional Chinese dance or knowing more about Chinese arts and culture.
China has many ethnic minorities and cultures within the country, where regions will have their own signature dance. Some of these will be explored during the course, where students will be taught the choreography of how to dance a full traditional Chinese piece, alongside particular movements and training that is used in Chinese dance compared to western dance styles.
During the course, students will be taught the choreography of a full traditional Chinese dance piece (either a famous ethnic dance or well-known traditional dance). The courses will be taught by teachers from the Beijing Dance Academy (the BDA) who set the curriculum.
Why Study this Course?
- Knowledge of the basic background behind traditional Chinese dance.
- Knowledge of the basics relating to the dance (ie stance, posture, breathing).
- Knowledge of warm-up exercises/techniques related to similar styles of dance.
- Knowledge of dance choreography.
The following participants are eligible to receive a 15% discount. Concessions are available for Goldsmiths’ staff and students, over 60s, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support claimants and local Lewisham residents.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. If you require adjustments, please complete the relevant section on the booking form and also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can respond to your requests as soon as possible.
Please note that our short courses sell-out quickly, so early booking is advisable.
If you have any questions about this course please contact confucius (@gold.ac.uk) .
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
Richard Hoggart Building, Room 253
About the department
Goldsmiths Confucius Institute for Dance and Performance is an academic department of Goldsmiths, University of London. We specialise in Chinese language and culture as well being the first and currently, the only CI to specialise in dance, performance and the arts, and the proud winner of the Global Confucius Institute of the Year Award 2017.
- Undergraduate degree courses in Chinese language - BA (Hons) International Relations & ChineseBA (Hons) Sociology & Chinese
- Credit courses in Chinese language, Chinese history, Chinese arts and culture and Chinese philosophy (open to all Goldsmiths students)
- Evening and weekend short courses in Chinese language, Chinese dance, Chinese music and Chinese martial arts
- HSK examinations and training
- Outreach for Schools program