We are now offering many of our courses online (over Zoom or similar platforms). No prior experience with these platforms is required. Continue learning with us by taking courses remotely via live distance learning.
A course on advanced methods and techniques for defeating nervousness and improving confidence in public speaking. The skills covered in this course are essential for public speaking in general.
Please note: More training dates can be found on the booking page.
The course is available in four formats:
• Clients' Office
• Online (Virtual Classroom) with live tutoring
• Bespoke (Group or 1-2-1 coaching)
100% of AIR income, beyond operational expense, is used towards education and research. Find out more on the AIR homepage.
Defeating anxiety or nervousness is a key step to mastering public speaking – a skill increasingly essential across many aspects of life.
The skills taught in this course are vital for public speaking in any context, including conferences, election campaigns, diplomacy, PhD Viva /oral exams, lecturing, interviews, and management talks/board meetings.
Max 8 participants: the sessions are interactive with ample opportunity for practical exercises, interaction with other participants as well as personalised feedback and guidance from the tutor.
The training will be tailored to each individual’s needs. You will learn techniques that are specific to you; and will be given the opportunity to work on specific areas of your interest.
Why choose our public speaking training
- You can expect maximum progress. You will receive training from one of the leading experts in the field: with a background in psychology, cognitive sciences, advocacy (e.g. the English Bar), and genetics; with over 11 years of experience teaching public speaking, advocacy and cognitive influences in decision-making. As effective public speaking requires knowledge of the human mind (e.g. how the mind processes (accepts and rejects) information); psychology (e.g. influences/persuasion); and traits (e.g. memory, voice, nervousness), tutors are required to have excellent knowledge in these areas
- You will learn key techniques of the English Barristers' training - well-known internationally for outstanding quality.
- The course is science-based. You will benefit from tested methods, skills and techniques, including overcoming individual-specific and general barriers.
- A highly acclaimed Psychology department. Of thousands of degree-granting universities, Goldsmiths Psychology department is in the World top 100 in the QS ranking for academic reputation. Papers by our academics are highly cited: we hold the 55th place among the Worlds' Psychology departments for the number of citations published per paper.
Campus Courses - VAT-free: Our venues are in central London (Senate House) and in New Cross. You can select your preferred location by choosing the date available.
Virtual Classroom Courses - VAT-free: Live tutoring brings all the benefits of face to face training and, in addition, improves skills for ‘digital’ participation. There is an increasing need for online activities in all areas of life. Meetings, interviews, presentations and conferences are increasingly opting for participation and contribution via digital platforms. Courts have introduced video-advocacy and judging. Consulting, counselling, advertising, sales, and client support of all kinds are all moving to digital formats. Therefore, ‘digital’ participation and the necessary skills for online delivery of Public Speaking are becoming an essential skill of the 21st century.
Bespoke Courses: If you are interested in a tailor-made Public Speaking course option (1-1 coaching or bespoke group training), please contact us using the email or phone number provided below.
Is this course for me
This course equips you with skills, knowledge and techniques that are specific to defeating anxiety of public speaking and for building confidence; as well as with key skills that are important for public speaking and presentation in general.
The course is therefore suitable for you if experience anxiety or fear of public speaking and would like to speak with confidence in front of diverse audiences; and also if your activities include public speaking in general.
Our participants have included: Academics, Bankers, Diplomats, Executives, Lawyers, Lecturers, Managers and Students.
There are two recommended training paths which follow this course:
- Public Speaking and Presenting
- Speech Writing for Public Speaking
- Advanced Methods in Public Speaking
- The Psychology of Decision Making
Other clients also took:
• Public Speaking and Presenting (1-day) - Campus or Virtual Classroom
• Speech Writing for Public Speaking (1-day) - Campus or Virtual Classroom
• Psychology of Decision Making (One day)
*Book two or more courses at the same time to get 10% discount.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. If you require adjustments, please complete the relevant section on the booking form and also contact us at shortcourses (@gold.ac.uk) so we can respond to your requests as soon as possible.
Please note our short courses sell-out quickly, so early booking is advisable.
- 10% if you are taking two courses in consecutive weeks
- 20% UK students
- 25%Members of the UK Law and Society Association (UKLSA)
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
Refund policy: See AIR courses main page
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
This course is directed by Fatos Selita, an English barrister and a New York State Attorney; with training in Psychology and Genetics; with over 11 years of experience in delivering advocacy and public speaking training internationally. Fatos delivers training on Decision Making and the Psychology of the Legal Process to lawyers and the judiciary in England and internationally; he directs the ‘Psychology and Law’ and ‘Psychology of Decision Making' courses. Fatos has also many years of experience in delivering training online and has received outstanding feedback from participants. Read more…
During this course, you will build skills in all areas covered in the course, including:
• Overcoming nervousness
• Building inner confidence
• Public speaking techniques and methods
• Eliminating barriers to confident public speaking
• Gaining control over the talk and deliver a talk with minimum notes or slides
• Build a positive atmosphere in the audience and connect with audiences in a way that helps with confidence and combatting nervousness
• Speaking in front of diverse audiences
You will also learn how to combine all skills gained into practice; as well as how to enjoy public speaking.
Day One: Developing your public speaking skills
You will learn the key skills needed to become an excellent speaker, including:
- Pronunciation/clarity of words
- Language during a speech
- Body language
Day Two: Preparing for a talk and speaker personality
You will be taken through how to prepare for a public speech step-by-step. This will include:
- Elements of public speaking
- Order of preparation
- How to have control of your speech, including how to tailor the length of a presentation to
- unexpected changes in the time available.
- Understanding audiences
- How to adapt public speaking to diverse audiences
- How to write an impactful speech (how to plan the wording of a talk), including techniques
You will also explore personality in relation to public speaking, including.
- How to improve understanding of oneself (e.g. personality characteristics, views) and designing your public speaking accordingly
- How to identify personal barriers to public speaking and work on their removal
- How to use own personality strengths effectively to build a positive atmosphere in the room
- How to develop own brand
Day Three: minimising nervousness, building confidence, protecting from unwanted influences/propaganda
You will be taken through a step by step guide on how to minimise nervousness and build confidence, including:
- What is nervousness
- Distinguishing nervousness from shyness
- Techniques for immediate solutions for dealing with nervousness
- Techniques for long term solutions for reducing nervousness
- Techniques for improving confidence
You will also learn about powerful techniques used by public speakers and influencers, and how to identify them.
Day Four: speech delivery
Participants will learn to apply all skills, techniques and knowledge for effective public speaking, including:
- Clarity of expression
- Talking without aids
- Resistance from the audiences
- Effective sequence of information
- Understanding of attention span
- Working memory resources and energy of the audience
- Dealing with questions and media
- Public speaking as persuasion
- Public speaking in specific contexts
Day Five: Intensive practice, personalised feedback and guidance
You will practice putting together all the knowledge and techniques acquired during the course. This is a day of intensive practice and feedback, and focuses on how to enjoy public speaking and presenting.
You will get help with your specific areas of interest, such as conference preparation and classroom presentations, oral exams, short tours (e.g. museum), speaking in meetings, job interviews, and everyday communication.