Short Course Terms
The terms below apply to all Goldsmiths’ Short Courses booked through eventbrite.co.uk.
1. INTRODUCTION AND DEFINITIONS
These terms (the “Terms”) apply to individuals undertaking non-credit bearing short courses offered by Goldsmiths, University of London, which is referred to in these Terms as “Goldsmiths”.
Individuals attending short courses at Goldsmiths are referred to in these Terms as “Participants”.
Additionally, in these Terms the expressions set out below have the corresponding meaning:
Course: a short course of study to be undertaken by a Participant.
Eventbrite: the third-party service located at www.eventbrite.co.uk through which Participants may register for and pay Fees for Courses.
Fees: the fees paid by a Participant to register for and attend a Course.
Tutors: the tutor or tutors teaching or leading a Course.
Website: Goldsmiths’ website for short courses at www.gold.ac.uk/short-courses.
Working Days: Monday to Friday (inclusive) except public holidays in England and other days when Goldsmiths is officially closed for business.
Please note: Participants on Courses are not Goldsmiths’ students and do not thereby become members of the College. Accordingly, Goldsmiths’ Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations and Policies do not generally apply to Participants.
Although Participants are not Goldsmiths’ students, many Goldsmiths’ policies do apply as if Participants were students; these are discussed below in Clause 11.
Some Short Courses have their own specific terms around e.g. Cancellation which override these Terms. In the event of any conflict between these Terms and any specific terms in a Course description on Eventbrite, the specific terms in a Course description on Eventbrite shall take precedence.
2. ABOUT GOLDSMITHS AND CONTACT DETAILS
Goldsmiths, University of London is a trading name used by Goldsmiths’ College, a registered charity and body incorporated by royal charter with registered number RC000715, whose administrative offices are at New Cross, London SE14 6NW.
Short Courses at Goldsmiths are administered by Goldsmiths’ Enterprise Office, which can be contacted at:
Goldsmiths, University of London
London SE14 6NW
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7896-2626
3. BOOKING A COURSE
Participants must be aged 18 or over to book a place on a course.
Places on Courses should be booked through Eventbrite, by following the procedure laid down by Eventbrite. Participants who have difficulty in using Eventbrite due to disability should contact the Enterprise Office at Goldsmiths to make alternative arrangements.
Participants must print out their booking confirmation from Eventbrite and bring this to the first session of any Course.
Eventbrite is a service provided by an independent third party, and Goldsmiths cannot accept any responsibility or liability for any problems that Participants may have with Eventbrite (including but not limited to the unavailability of Eventbrite’s service for any reason). Participant’s use of Eventbrite is governed by Eventbrite’s Terms of Service, which are available here on Eventbrite's website.
Any issues with Eventbrite must be resolved by following Eventbrite’s own policies and procedures. For more information see Eventbrite’s help pages.
Before booking a Course, Participants will be asked whether they have any unspent criminal convictions. Any offences that are not spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act must be declared. Goldsmiths reserves the right to refuse to allow potential Participants with unspent criminal convictions or other offences to book places on a Course. Goldsmiths may require potential Participants to provide further details before deciding whether to allow places to be booked on a Course.
4. CANCELLATION, POSTPONEMENT, TRANSFER & SUBSTITUTION
Please note: once a place has been booked on a Course through Eventbrite and the Fees paid, this may only be cancelled in accordance with these Terms. As Courses constitute leisure activities to be attended on a specific date or over a specific period, they fall within the exclusion provided by Regulation 28(h) of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013, and accordingly, Participants do not have a statutory right to cancel.
Cancellation by Participants
- Participants may cancel their place on a course no later than 10 Working Days prior to the Course commencing. In this case, Goldsmiths will give Participants a full refund through Eventbrite of any Fees already paid.
- Participants may cancel their place on a Course should Goldsmiths postpone two (2) or more consecutive Course classes, as described below. In this case, Goldsmiths will give Participants a full refund through Eventbrite of any Fees already paid.
- Participants may cancel their place on a Course in the event that exceptional circumstances prevent them from attending the Course. In this case, Participants shall provide documentary evidence to Goldsmiths to justify their cancellation and Goldsmiths will determine in its sole discretion whether to refund any amount of Fees already paid.
Cancellation by Goldsmiths
- Goldsmiths may cancel a Course no later than 24 hours prior to the Course commencing, for example, if there is insufficient demand for the Course.
- Goldsmiths may cancel the Course at any time if an event outside Goldsmiths’ control makes it impossible or impractical to provide a Course (including unavailability or illness of a Tutor where Goldsmiths is unable to secure a suitable replacement).
- Where Goldsmiths cancels a Course, Participants will be given a full refund through Eventbrite of any Fees already paid.
- Goldsmiths may postpone a session that forms part of a Course if an event outside Goldsmiths’ control makes it impossible or impractical to run that session (including unavailability or illness of a Tutor where Goldsmiths is unable to secure a suitable replacement).
- Where it is necessary to postpone a session, Goldsmiths shall use its reasonable efforts to reschedule that session or to add the hours missed onto future Course sessions.
Transfer between Courses
It is not possible to transfer between Courses, but subject to the rules on cancellation detailed above Participants may cancel their place on one Course and then book a place on another Course (subject to availability).
Where Participants will be unable to attend an entire Course they may nominate a substitute to take their place for the whole of that Course, subject to that person agreeing to these Terms.
Where Participants are unable to attend individual sessions that form part of a Course no substitution is permitted.
Communications from Participants
All communications from Participants relating to Courses must be directed to email@example.com.
For the avoidance of doubt, this includes all communications relating to cancellation of Courses by Participants, or substitution of Participants.
Communications from Goldsmiths
All communications from Goldsmiths relating to Courses will be by email sent to the email address provided by Participants to Eventbrite when the Course was booked.
For the avoidance of doubt, this includes all communications relating to the postponement of classes and/or cancellation of Courses by Participants.
It is Participants’ responsibility to ensure their email address is working and checked regularly.
6. PARTICIPANTS' OBLIGATIONS
- Abide by those Goldsmiths’ policies and procedures that are applicable to Participants, as detailed below in Clause 11.
- Obey reasonable instructions issued by Goldsmiths and its Tutors, or other staff or representatives.
- Be polite and courteous at all times, and not act in a manner likely to cause offence or nuisance to Tutors, other Participants, or any third parties.
- Refrain from using audio or visual recording equipment without permission.
- Not copy, modify or adapt Course contents or materials, or share these with any third parties.
- Keep any login details provided secure and not share these with any third parties.
- Only use Goldsmiths’ facilities and equipment during Course times and in accordance with the directions of their Tutors.
- Not engage in any behaviour or undertake any action intended or likely to cause damage to or impair the normal operation of Goldsmiths’ buildings, facilities or equipment.
- If provided with a security card not share this with any third parties, and only use it to gain access to the areas and at the times designated.
Additionally, participants should be proficient in the English language to at least the equivalent of IELTS level 6.5 in all 4 components. Other English language qualifications may be accepted at the sole discretion of the Enterprise Office
Participants are responsible for evidencing their right to live and study in the UK for the duration of the Course.
Participants who are not in possession of a UK Passport must evidence their right to live and study in the UK prior to commencement of the Course.
Electronic copies of their passport and documents confirming their immigration status should be supplied at least five (5) Working Days prior to the Course commencing to firstname.lastname@example.org. These copies should be high-resolution digital photographs, although Goldsmiths may at its sole discretion accept scanned copies.
Where such Participants are looking to book a place on a course that commences in less than five (5) Working Days they must first contact: email@example.com.
Participants who are unable to demonstrate their eligibility to live and study in the UK may be prohibited from attending Courses.
8. EXCLUSION FROM COURSES
Goldsmiths may exclude Participants from a Course if:
- It is discovered they do not have an immigration status entitling them to attend the Course.
- They are in breach of any of their obligations in Clause 6.
- They are in breach of any other provision of these Terms and do not remedy this within 7 days of being notified of the breach by Goldsmiths, or if the breach cannot be remedied.
For the sake of clarity, where Goldsmiths excludes Participants from a Course no refunds of any Fees will be provided.
9. COURSE DETAILS
Goldsmiths will use its reasonable efforts to provide Courses in accordance with the Course description and timetable as set out on the Website or as otherwise notified to Participants, but Goldsmiths reserves the right to make changes to Course details (including Course dates and times).
The details of any Tutors provided in any description of the Course are merely indicative of the level of qualifications and/or experience of Tutors likely to be teaching Courses. Goldsmiths does not offer any guarantee that any specific Tutors will teach any particular Courses.
Participants will receive by email a welcome pack providing information about their Course no later than 48 hours prior to the first Course. If this has not arrived please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants who attend at least 80% of the sessions that comprise a Course will be issued with a certificate of attendance.
Please note these certificates of attendance do not constitute evidence of the attainment of any particular standard, grade or qualification.
Certificates of attendance will usually be issued by Tutors during the last session of a course but may be posted to Participants that provide a stamped self-addressed envelope.
If a certificate of attendance is lost Goldsmiths may be able to provide a replacement, subject to Participants paying an administration charge of £25. Please note: Goldsmiths only guarantees to provide replacement certificates for 1 year after the final session of a Course. For further details please email email@example.com.
11. PARTICIPANTS' STATUS
As participants do not become Goldsmiths’ students and are not members of the College, Goldsmiths’ Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations do not generally apply to Participants.
- Do not have any automatic right to use Goldsmiths’ library, although they may apply for reference access.
- Cannot generally access Goldsmiths’ Student Services, or Careers Service.
- Are not entitled to join Goldsmiths’ Students Union.
Although Participants are not Goldsmiths’ students, the following Goldsmiths’ policies and procedures nonetheless do apply to Participants as if they were Goldsmiths’ students:
- CCTV Policy
- Data Protection Policies and Privacy Notices*
- Equality & Diversity Policy
- Harassment and Misconduct Policy
- Health & Safety Policy
- Information Management and Information Technology (IT) Policies
- Smoke-Free Policy
*Any personal information provided by participants to Eventbrite as part of the process of booking a course is subject to Eventbrite’s own Terms.
12. REASONABLE ADJUSTMENTS
Goldsmiths is committed to creating an inclusive and accessible environment and will make reasonable adjustments to ensure Participants with a long-term health condition, specific learning difficulty or disability can undertake Courses to the best of their ability. Participants should register any relevant requirements during the booking process on Eventbrite, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. GOLDSMITHS' LIABILITY
Goldsmiths shall not be liable to Participants in connection with Courses for any indirect damages or losses, or any loss of profits, loss of revenue, loss of data, loss of contracts or loss of opportunity, in each case whether direct or indirect, even if the Participant has advised Goldsmiths of the possibility of those losses, or if they were within Goldsmiths’ contemplation. Goldsmiths’ total aggregate liability to Participants (whether arising in contract, tort or otherwise) for all and any breaches of these Terms, any negligence, or arising in any other way out of a Course, shall not exceed in total the Fees paid by that Participant for that Course. Nothing in the foregoing limits or excludes liability for death or personal injury caused by negligence, or any other sort of liability which may not be excluded or limited by law.
Any complaints relating to Courses should be addressed to email@example.com.
Assignment: Goldsmiths may assign or transfer its obligations and rights under these Terms to another organisation. This will not affect Participant’s rights under these Terms.
Illegal/unenforceable provisions: If the whole or any part of any provision of these Terms is void or unenforceable, the other provisions shall continue in force.
Waiver of Rights: No delay or failure by Goldsmiths to enforce an obligation or exercise a right under these Terms on any occasion shall affect its right to enforce that obligation or exercise that right in the future. Any waiver by Goldsmiths of any provision of these Terms on any occasion shall not constitute a waiver of that provision on a future occasion.
Entire Agreement: These Terms constitute the entire agreement between Goldsmiths and Participants (except where terms in the Course description on Eventbrite are explicitly stated to take precedence). No variation or amendment shall be effective unless made in writing and signed by an authorised representative of Goldsmiths.
Governing law: These Terms and the relationship between Participants and Goldsmiths is exclusively governed by and to be construed in accordance with English law. The English Courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction to deal with any dispute connected with these Terms, or the relationship between Participants and Goldsmiths.