Learn about latest genetic findings affecting individuals; potential misuses of these findings; and the law protecting from such misuses.
I found the course to be course to be an incredibly thorough introduction to a novel concept and emerging topic. The course content was delivered in a challenging and appropriate way in consideration of the complexity in question. The engaging nature of the sessions was the most useful in reinforcing learning. Fatos was an exquisite course leader & I would highly recommend his teaching.
Head of Legal Team, UK
The course is available in four formats:
• Clients' Office
• Online (Virtual Classroom) with live tutoring
• Bespoke (Group or 1-2-1 coaching)
100% of AIR income, beyond operational expense, is used towards education and research. Read more…
This training course provides knowledge on genetic advances affecting individuals and society.
It covers a range of contexts in which genetic findings are and can be misused to harm individuals and society, including in relation to health, education, policing, criminal liability and genetic enhancement / gene editing.
The course provides knowledge on the laws in place protecting from misuses of genetic advances. It focuses on the legal protection in the UK; and compares it with that in other jurisdictions such as the US and the Russian Federation.
This course is developed and taught by experts in the field, with multi-disciplinary training, including in law, genetics and psychology.
Campus Courses - VAT-free: Our venues are in central London (Senate House) and in New Cross. You can select your preferred location by choosing the date available.
Virtual Classroom Courses - VAT-free: Live tutoring brings all the benefits of face to face training and, in addition, improves skills for ‘digital’ participation. There is an increasing need for online activities in all areas of life – making ‘digital’ participation an essential skill of the 21st century.
Bespoke Courses: If you are interested in a tailor-made Public Speaking course option: 1-1 coaching or bespoke group training, please contact us using the email or phone number provided below.
Elements covered in the course include:
- Unique features of sequenced genetic data relevant to protection of societies, groups and individuals’ rights.
- Genetic findings that present misuse risk: information that can and cannot be extracted from genetic data and the implications of genetic information for human rights.
- Legal and ethical implications, including in insurance, recruitment, policing, voting and business and commerce.
- Scale of implications, for example what proportion of the population is affected or is likely to be affected in the near future.
- Legal protection in place – laws, procedure and enforcement.
- Essential steps for individuals and societies.
- Who is this course suitable for?
As genetic findings can affect everyone, learning about the misuse of genetic knowledge and the legal protection in place has become essential for all people. Participants have included data managers, lawyers, policy makers, researchers and students.
Other clients also took:
Genetics and Society (1 day) - Campus or Virtual Classroom
Psychology and Law (1-day) - Campus or Virtual Classroom
*Book two or more courses at the same time to get 10% discount.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. If you require adjustments, please complete the relevant section on the booking form and also contact us at shortcourses (@gold.ac.uk) so we can respond to your requests as soon as possible.
Please note that our short courses sell-out quickly, so early booking is advisable.
- 10% when a participant enrolls for more than one of our courses (at the same time)
- 20% UK students
- 25%Members of the UK Law and Society Association (UKLSA)
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
As a University, we are able to offer our courses at minimum prices, and free of VAT - to make knowledge available to as wide audience as possible.
Refund policy: See AIR main page
Starting date, Monday 1 Mar 2021
10am-5pm | 1 day
If you have any questions about this course please contact air (@gold.ac.uk) or call +44 (0)20 7078 5468.
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.