This intermediate 3-day course focuses on a number of Python packages that are commonly used for data analysis, including CSV, Numpy, SciPy and Pandas. A knowledge of these packages will help you to read in, manipulate and analyse a wide variety of datasets.
During the course participants will manipulate and clean data as well as use the stats library to conduct basic statistic tests. Additionally, this course focuses on how to write and run simple data analysis programs in Python, and builds on these using some of the powerful extensions available in Python. This will be achieved through hands-on worked examples of real life data problems.
Prerequisite is some basic experience with Python.
- Conducting simple statistical analyses (e.g. obtaining means, medians and standard deviations): The Python Numpy Module
- Combining For/While loops and Numpy for complex analyses
- Using Pandas to import and manipulate datasets
- BYO (Bring Your Own) Dataset - Assessment task
The course is directed by Dr Will Lawrence, who completed his PhD at the department of Electronics and Computer Science at the University of Southampton, and who has a background in psychology. Will has rich experience in delivering training in both Python and R, to diverse audiences.
This module can be taken in conjunction with Introduction to Python.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. Please be advised that in order to provide an assessment and plan appropriate support we require as much notice as possible and, in some circumstances, up to 3 months. If you are planning to book, or have already booked, onto a short course please contact Goldsmiths Disability Team disability(@gold.ac.uk) at your earliest convenience.
- 10% when a participant enrols for more than one of our courses (at the same time)
- 20% UK students
- 25%Members of the UK Law and Society Association (UKLSA)
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
As a University, we are able to offer our courses at minimum prices, and free of VAT - to make knowledge available to as wide audience as possible.
Refund policy: See AIR courses main page
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
Goldsmiths' Main Campus, New Cross, London