Computing, Data Analysis
Dr Will Lawrence
Learn how to process and analyse data using many of R's powerful functions, install packages for additional functionality and produce high quality graphics for use in publications.
This course offers an intensive, hands-on introduction to the R statistical computing environment, focusing on practical aspects of data analysis. The programme is designed to give you as much practical experience as possible.
The course will cover the following key aspects of using R:
- Data analysis, reading in data, data exploration and filtering
- Vectors, arithmetic, recycling
- Graphics and advanced graphics
- Analysis workflow
- Making your own functions
- Linear modelling
- Object-orientated programming
- Principal component analysis
You will experience a range of teaching and learning methods, including lectures, active participation in tutorials, practical sessions, debates and discussions. You will also receive academic guidance and feedback on your progress throughout.
Those interested in large-scale data analysis and in further programming training should consider Introduction to Python in Week 2. This combination will offer a competetive edge to anyone interested in analysing, managing and working with different types of data.
How to Apply
Cancellations up to 14 days before the course start date will incur a 20% cancellation fee. For later cancellations, or non attendance, the full course fee will be charged.
- 10% if you are taking two courses in consecutive weeks
- 20% UK students
- 25% UK Law Students Association (UKLSA) Members (those at pre-qualifying stage)
- 10% Early career solicitors/attorneys, up to 5 years post qualifying
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
- A laptop - Windows, Mac or Linux with R installed (help with installation is available. All software required is freely available to download and install)
- Sublime Text 2