Tim Berners Lee said ‘the original idea of the web was that it should be a collaborative space where you can communicate through sharing information.’ There are many tools and customisable web sites that enable you to ‘get online’, communicate & collaborate. This introductory course will teach you how to build websites from the ground up using HTML and CSS, providing an understanding of web technologies. We’ll also cover how to make these compatible with all devices, from smartphone to desktop.
As well as the work we complete in class, you will also be asked to undertake tasks using the Coursera learning platform. Through a combination of lab and online work we’ll teach you the fundamental skills of web design, and are especially interested in tailoring the course to suit your needs. Whether you wish to develop your own project, or to gain additional employability skills, we can guide you through your first steps, offering you expert guidance and troubleshooting any issues you experience.
This a five week intensive short course designed to help you take your first steps in responsive web design and development. We’ll achieve this by focusing on exploring the design process and the two foundational web design languages: HTML & CSS. Many websites aren’t built to be adaptable to different devices, meaning the user experience is hampered. This leads to pictures being wrongly formatted, or important messages becoming lost. Learning to build responsive websites from scratch will help you alleviate these issues, to use readily available web tools & platforms, and to create a welcoming and adaptable space for your audience.
Why Study this Course?
- Learn to define the story and the communication that a web site is intended to support, & to design a web site that meets those requirements
- Learn how to build websites using HTML and CSS
- Learn how to make mobile, laptop, desktop and tablet compatible websites using Responsive Web Design principles
- Encounter a selection of web site deployment tools and learn how to tune them so better deliver a web site that meets your requirements.
- Enhance your professional skills under the guidance of our Computing experts at Goldsmiths, who are at the forefront of developing cutting edge courses and technologies essential for today’s job market
- Learn the coding essentials through a combination of online and lab work using the Coursera platform.
- Use the course to shape your own path. Whether you want to promote a new venture, or increase your employability, we can offer advice and guidance on software shortcuts and best practice methods of production.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. If you require adjustments, please complete the relevant section on the booking form and also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can respond to your requests as soon as possible.
Please note our short courses sell-out quickly, so early booking is advisable.
Starting date, Wednesday 6 Nov 2019
6.30-8.30pm | 5 Weeks
Starting date, Wednesday 26 Feb 2020
6.30-8.30pm | 5 Weeks
If you have any questions about this course please contact shortcourses (@gold.ac.uk) .
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
Richard Hoggart Building