A course on advanced methods and techniques in public speaking, including persuasion, rhetoric, metaphor and much more.
The course is available in four formats:
- Clients' Office
- Online (Virtual Classroom) with live tutoring
- Bespoke (Group or 1:1 coaching)
About the course
This 1-day course is designed to help build public speaking skills at an advanced level, beyond essentials such as articulating thoughts, expressing clearly and speaking confidently. It covers persuasion techniques such as: use of language, talk structures, audiences’ feelings, crowd control and positive use of own personality.
The course also covers techniques for identifying and protecting from other speakers’ manipulations used in different contexts, such as politics and media. The skills developed during the course are important for public speaking and presenting in any context, including the emerging context of online, virtual events.
The course is designed for a maximum of 8 participants. The sessions are interactive with ample opportunity for practical exercises, interaction with other participants and personalised feedback. During the practical sessions, you will be provided with feedback and guidance specific to improving your skills; and have the opportunity to receive guidance on specific areas of your interest.
Why choose our training
- You will receive training from one of the leading experts in the field: with over 11 years of experience in psychology, advocacy, and cognitive science – areas important for public speaking.
- You will learn key techniques of the English Barristers' training - well-known internationally for outstanding quality.
- The course is science-based. You will benefit from tested methods, skills and techniques, including overcoming individual-specific and general barriers.
- Goldsmiths Psychology department is in the World top 100 in the QS ranking for academic reputation. Papers by our academics are highly cited: we hold the 55th place among the Worlds' Psychology departments for the number of citations published per paper.
Our venues are in central London (Senate House) and in New Cross. You can select your preferred location by choosing the date available. Campus courses are VAT-free.
Virtual Classroom courses
Live tutoring brings all the benefits of face to face training and, in addition, improves skills for ‘digital’ participation. There is an increasing need for online activities in all areas of life. Meetings, interviews, presentations and conferences are increasingly opting for participation and contribution via digital platforms. Courts have introduced video-advocacy and judging. Consulting, counselling, advertising, sales, and client support of all kinds are all moving to digital formats. Therefore, ‘digital’ participation and the necessary skills for online delivery of Public Speaking are becoming an essential skill of the 21st century. Virtual Classroom courses are VAT-free.
If you are interested in a tailor-made Public Speaking course option, 1-1 coaching or bespoke group training, please contact us using the email or phone number provided below.
Is this course for me?
This course is for those who would like to learn advanced techniques (persuasion) in public speaking. It is therefore highly beneficial to those wishing to develop existing public speaking skills.
If you do not have training in public speaking, we recommend that you first take: Combating Fear of Public Speaking (1-day) and/or Public Speaking and Presenting (1-day).
Other clients also took
*Book two or more courses at the same time to get 10% discount.
Starting date, Saturday 28 Nov 2020
10am-5pm | 1 day
Starting date, Saturday 23 Jan 2021
10-5pm | 1 day
Starting date, Saturday 27 Feb 2021
10-5pm | 1 day
If you have any questions about this course please contact air (@gold.ac.uk) or call +44 (0)20 7078 5468.
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.