Professor Yulia Kovas & Fatos Selita
Goldsmiths, University of London
A one-week course in public speaking. Number of students is limited to 10 per class with ample opportunity for individualised training and feedback on practical exercises.
This course is designed by barristers and psychologists with extensive public speaking experience and expertise, and who are passionate about public speaking.
You will be taught by highly skilled experts with extensive public speaking experience in a wide range of contexts, including to specialised and general audiences, in international conferences, public engagement, training and professional development, and politics.
Significant improvement on all aspects of public speaking is expected for those taking the 5-day course. Due to tutors’ experience and expertise in psychology and human development, significant success is also expected in removing fear, nervousness and tailoring long-term self-development for natural presentation.
The unique feature of this course is the combination of:
- Relevant scientific findings, including insights from psychological science,
- Advocacy training at the English Bar, and
- Personalised training and feedback.
In addition to public speakers and presenters, the course is also directly relevant to court advocates – barristers, solicitors and other lawyers representing clients in court – as well as those involved in negotiations and debating. Moreover, skills gained during this course are transferrable to day to day activities.
The course will cover all aspects of public speaking, including:
- Speech writing: preparing effective speeches e.g. keynote speeches, political campaigns speeches, wedding speeches and court closing submissions.
- Delivering effective public speeches
- Delivering high quality presentations in conferences
- Understanding manipulative public speaking techniques
- Tactics and techniques of persuasive public speaking
- Removing fears and anxiety
- Strategies for long-term self-development
- Tailoring your speech to changing reactions of an audience; AND
- A significant amount of practical exercises
Following completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Write better speeches.
- Deliver significantly better public speeches or presentations in conferences.
- Understand techniques used in public speeches (e.g. by politicians’).
- Significantly reduce fears and anxiety.
- Know how to self-develop further.
- Speak more clearly and persuasively in general.
- Negotiate and debate more successfully.
- Know how to continue improving clarity of public speaking.
Other public speaking courses options. Public Speaking and Presenting (one-day)
How to Apply
Please click on the date of the course you'd like to attend below. You'll be taken to Eventbrite, which is our booking system:
- Mon 15 Jan - Fri 19 Jan 2018
- Mon 12 Feb - Fri 16 Feb 2018
- Mon 16 Apr - Fri 20 Apr 2018
- Mon 16 Jul - Fri 20 Jul 2018
- Mon 22 Oct - Fri 26 Oct 2018
Cancellations up to 14 days before the course start date will incur a 20% cancellation fee. For later cancellations, or non attendance, the full course fee will be charged.
- 10% if you are taking two courses in consecutive weeks
- 20% UK students
- 25% UK Law & Society Association (UKLSA) Members
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts