We are now offering many of our courses online (over Zoom or similar platforms). No prior experience with these platforms is required. Continue learning with us by taking courses remotely via live distance learning.
Learn to speak well in public, persuade and protect from manipulations.
The course is available in four formats:
- Clients' Office
- Online (Virtual Classroom) with live tutoring
- Bespoke (Group or 1-2-1 coaching
100% of AIR income, beyond operational expense, is used towards education and research. Read more…
This one-week training covers public speaking and presenting in depth and allows sufficient time for learning and practising advanced public speaking skills.
The course covers the psychology of persuasion relevant to public speaking and its application in public speaking.
The course also covers protecting from manipulation, including the media and politics.
The skills you will develop during the course are important for speaking in different contexts, such as conferences, election campaigns, diplomacy activities, lecturing, management talks/board meetings, museum guides, oral exams and PhD Viva, as well as the emerging context of speaking at online, virtual events.
Max 8 participants: the sessions are interactive with ample opportunity for practical exercises, interaction with other participants as well as personalised feedback and guidance from the tutor.
During the practical public speaking, you will be provided with feedback and guidance specific to improving your skills; and you will also have the opportunity to receive guidance on specific areas of your interest.
Why choose our public speaking training
1. You will receive training from one of the leading experts in the field: with over 11 years of experience in psychology, advocacy, and genetics – areas important for public speaking.
2. You will learn key techniques of the English Barristers' training - well-known internationally for outstanding quality.
3. The course is science-based. You will benefit from tested methods, skills and techniques, including overcoming individual-specific and general barriers.
4. Of thousands of degree-granting universities, Goldsmiths Psychology department is in the World top 100 in the QS ranking for academic reputation. Papers by our academics are highly cited: we hold the 55th place among the Worlds' Psychology departments for the number of citations published per paper.
Campus Courses - VAT-free: Our venues are in central London (Senate House) and in New Cross. You can select your preferred location by choosing the date available.
Virtual Classroom Course Information - VAT-free: Live tutoring brings all the benefits of face to face training and, in addition, improves skills for ‘digital’ participation. There is now an increasing need for on-line activities in all areas of life. Meetings, interviews, presentations and conferences are increasingly opting for participation and contribution via digital platforms. Courts have introduced video-advocacy and judging. Consulting, counselling, advertising, sales, and client support of all kinds are all moving to digital formats. Large events and conferences are conducted via videoconferencing. Therefore, ‘digital’ participation, and therefore skills for online delivery of Public Speaking, are becoming an essential skill of the 21st century.
Bespoke Course Information: Please contact us for tailor-made Public Speaking course options: 1-1 coaching and bespoke group training. We will adapt the course to your tailored to your interests, needs and desired outcomes.
Is this course for me
The skills and knowledge covered in this course – public speaking and persuasion (including protecting from manipulation) – are important across a wide range of contexts. The course is therefore suitable for all people.
Our participants have included: Advertisers, Bankers, Barristers, Diplomats, Executives, Lecturers, Managers, Politicians, Researchers, Solicitors and Students.
The recommended training path after this course is as follows:
*Book two or more courses at the same time to get a 10% discount.
To book a bespoke Public Speaking short course, please contact the AIR.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. If you require adjustments, please complete the relevant section on the booking form and also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can respond to your requests as soon as possible.
Please note our short courses sell-out quickly, so early booking is advisable.
- 10% when a participant enrols for more than one of our courses (at the same time)
- 20% of UK students
- 25% Members of the UK Law and Society Association (UKLSA)
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
As a University, we are able to offer our courses at minimum prices, and free of VAT - to make knowledge available to as wide audience as possible.
Refund policy: See AIR courses main page
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
This course is directed by Fatos Selita, an English barrister and a New York State Attorney; with training in Psychology and Cognitive Sciences; with over 11 years of experience in delivering public speaking training internationally. Fatos is also a trainer in Mind Influences on Decision making, as well as the director of the ‘Psychology and Law’ and 'The Psychology of Decision Making' courses. Fatos has many years of experience in delivering training online and has received outstanding feedback from participants. Read more…
The training includes regular exercises and the opportunity to receive guidance in your areas of interest. The course structure is adapted to audiences, with the most common structure as follows.
Day 1: Developing knowledge and skills for public speaking
The first day focuses on building the required knowledge and skills (fundamentals of public speaking). This training day includes:
• About public speaking – from antient training to present.
• Selecting information.
• Articulating thoughts.
• Arranging and expressing ideas.
• Using body language effectively, including minimising negative impact of body language.
• Developing clarity.
• Using intonation.
• Minimising distracters.
• Tailoring language during a speech.
• Knowledge on traits (e.g. confidence, personality, nervousness).
Day 2: Preparation methods and techniques; and combatting nervousness and building confidence
On the second day, the course covers a step by step guidance on how to prepare for a public speech; as well as techniques for removing nervousness and building confidence. It includes:
• Elements of public speaking.
• Order of preparation.
• Understanding audiences.
• How to adapt public speaking to diverse audiences.
• Connecting with audiences.
• Structuring a talk in a way that is memorable to audiences.
• Origins of nervousness and confidence.
• Fuels of nervousness / fear of public speaking.
• Enemies of nervousness / fear of public speaking .
• Memorising a talk without memorising content.
• Talking without aids.
• Audience behaviour which can affect your confidence.
• Minimising the impact that changing reaction of audiences have on your confidence.
• Gaining control over your speech, including content and length.
• Keeping to time, including when time available changes.
• Techniques for immediate and long term solutions for dealing with nervousness and building confidence.
• Control over reactions of the audience.
Day 3: Persuasion in Public Speaking - Advanced public speaking techniques
During day 3, the course covers advanced methods and techniques in public speaking, including:
• The power of persuasion.
• Use of words effectively.
• Talk structures.
• Audiences’ feelings.
• Relation between own personality and desired outcomes from a speech.
• Identifying persuasion techniques in different contexts.
• Protecting from manipulations in difference contexts, such as politics and media.
• Analyses of techniques used by powerful influencers.
• Using knowledge on human mind and behaviour to improve effectiveness.
• Memory findings and use in public speaking.
• Causes of changes in behaviour (e.g. confidence).
• Dealing with questions and media.
Day 4: Word-crafting/Speech Writing
This day’s training focuses on speech writing – an invaluable skill for public speaking and communication in general. The training day includes:
• Learning about impactful use of words.
• Selecting impactful content from unlimited available information.
• Tailoring the length of speech to time available.
• Adapting content to audiences and your own personality.
• Using wording that builds a positive energy/atmosphere in the audience.
• Crafting speeches that are memorable.
• Using knowledge on cognitive strengths and limitations to maximise effectiveness.
• Achieving intended outcomes from a talk.
Day 5: Putting all skills and knowledge into practice - Intensive public speaking with personalised feedback and guidance
Using our PEOPLE technique, the day includes putting together all knowledge and techniques acquired. This includes, applying techniques for preparation, delivery and persuasion in practical public speaking.
The training involves intensive practice and feedback.
It also focuses on skills required to make public speaking and presenting an enjoyable experience.
Participants will also get help with specific areas of interest.
During this course, you will build skills, knowledge and techniques on all areas covered in the course. This includes:
- Building a rich resource of skills, knowledge and techniques for effective public speaking.
- Preparing speeches that captivate and inspire audiences.
- Learning about the Psychology of Persuasion, its effective use in public speaking and how to protect from persuasion.
- Delivering effective and enjoyable public speaking, confidently, to diverse audiences.