Learn the art of public speaking and presenting – remove fear – strengthen your natural confidence – improve effectiveness of your communication – learn from the latest psychological and neuroscientific findings.
This course is designed by public speakers with multidisciplinary training, including Advocacy at the English Bar (Barrister training) and Psychology; and with extensive experience in teaching and delivering public speaking to diverse audiences internationally. The course benefits from a combination of:
- public speaking skills
- advocacy skills, as taught at the English Bar
- scientific findings that directly relate to public speaking, including comprehension, attention, origin of individual differences, and memory
The course focuses on skills required to:
- prepare for a public speech or presentation at a conference
- understand audiences
- tailor presentations to audiences
- articulate thoughts and arrange ideas
- minimise nervousness / fear / anxiety
- build natural (inner) confidence
- building a desired personality
- deliver quality public speaking to diverse audiences
- express clearly for increased effectiveness
- connect with audiences
- tailor length of a presentation as and when needed, including during the presentation
- deliver quality (with high impact) technical presentations in conferences
- understand public speaking techniques used by others (e.g. politicians, media)
- communicate more effectively and persuasively in general
- enjoy public speaking and presenting
Why take this course?
1. Due to tutors multi-disciplinary training and expertise, significant improvement on all aspects of public speaking is expected, including in removing of fear and nervousness, and strengthening your natural confidence.
2. The course provides ample opportunity for individualised training and feedback on practical exercises. Number of students is limited to 10 per class.
YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO:
- Prepare for public speaking
- Reduce nervousness, fear and anxiety
- Deliver public speaking more effectively and with ease to diverse audiences
- Deliver presentations in conference with greater impact and in an enjoyable way
- Communicate more persuasively and effectively in general
- Articulate thoughts and express clearly for increased effectiveness
- Identify public speaking techniques used by others (e.g. politicians, media)
- Tailor your speech to changing reactions of an audience
Who should take this course:
We recommend this course to anyone who wishes to improve the skills outlined above.
Public speaking skills are essential in a range of professions and professional capacities. Being able to speak well (effectively and enjoyably) in front of other people, including in conferences, board meetings or at a wedding – is a skill that would bring satisfaction to most people. Good speaking benefits not only those who speaks well, but often audiences too e.g. in conferences, in school, or university lectures.
The course is also an excellent complement to the Advocacy training of Barristers / lawyers at the English
For more in-depth training, also available Public Speaking and Presenting - five day course.
- 10% if you are taking two courses in consecutive weeks
- 20% UK students
- 25% UK Law & Society Association (UKLSA) Members
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
Goldsmiths (New Cross) or Senate House (Bloomsbury), University of London
Click the link to see the location for each date