Communication is one of the most powerful tools we possess. Investing in public speaking training is investing in advanced communication.
We offer a range of intensive Public Speaking courses; as well as 1-2-1 coaching and bespoke group training. Our courses can be taken on campus (tax-free) and off-campus (clients’ offices).
Why choose this course?
Effective public speaking requires skilful application of knowledge from a number of areas, including psychology, cognitive sciences and communications. Our public speaking courses use scientific findings from multiple disciplines, as opposed to pseudoscience. Our tutors have extensive experience of public speaking delivery and teaching; and have trained as barristers at the English Bar which strengthens the training with techniques that are well-known internationally for outstanding quality.
These features of the training enable fast progress and equip learners with powerful tools needed to build long lasting skills and to deal with barriers to effective public speaking.
Key elements of our public speaking training
During the course you will learn to: successfully deal with fear of public speaking; craft public speeches/presentations which captivate and influence audiences; and use techniques for delivering memorable public speeches and presentations.
Key elements of the course include:
- developing skills, including voice, clarity, intonation and body language;
- preparing for a public speech / talk, including order of preparation, understanding audiences, tailoring the talk to different audiences, and selecting the wording / speech writing;
- minimising nervousness and increasing confidence, including techniques for immediate and long term solutions; and
- delivery techniques, including clarity, memorable delivery, how to use findings from science to increase effectiveness, how to create and maintain a positive energy/atmosphere in the audience, persuasion, and how to combine all skills and knowledge gained for effective public speaking.
Throughout the course participants will practice the skills they learn and will receive personalised feedback.
During this intensive day of training you will learn:
- How to prepare for a public speech – key elements of public speaking and how to tackle them
- How to have control of your speech, including how to tailor the length of a presentation to unexpected changes in the time available
- How to craft a memorable presentation/talk
- How to develop your Public Speaking skills, including pronunciation, voice, tone, articulating thoughts, and arranging and expressing ideas
- How communicate persuasively and effectively in general
- How to handle diverse audiences, including understanding audiences, tailoring presentation to different audiences, connecting with diverse audiences, tailoring your speech to changing reactions of an audience
- How to minimise a negative atmosphere in an audience and build a positive atmosphere
- How to deal with fear of public speaking and nervousness, including identifying their origins and how to defeat them
- How to build inner confidence
- How to use knowledge from a range of disciplines (e.g. scientific findings on human mind and behaviour) in practice for more effective public speaking
- How to learn to enjoy public speaking and presenting
Is this course for me:
This course is for anyone who wishes to improve public speaking skills or communication skills in general. This course will particularly benefit those whose job requires communication skills, including:
• Executives / Managers (e.g. to communicate more effectively and persuasively with staff and clients; to inspire others; and to promote change).
• Lawyers (e.g. to strengthen their ability to protect clients’ interests; and to communicate with ease with clients).
• Customer Services Staff (e.g. to improve customer satisfaction and experience; and to communicate more effectively with colleagues).
• Researchers (e.g. to disseminate knowledge).
• Teachers/lecturers (e.g. to improve teaching effectiveness; and to promote positive change).
This course is directed by Fatos Selita, an English barrister and a New York State Attorney; with training in Psychology, Genetics and Mind Influences; with over 9 years of experience in delivering public speaking training internationally; who is also a trainer in Mind Influences on Decision making, as well as the director of the ‘Psychology for Lawyers: Brain, Mind and Behaviour’ and 'Decision Making: Brain, Mind and Behaviour' courses.
Other public speaking courses options: 2-day course, 5-day course.
We are committed to providing reasonable teaching adjustments for students with disabilities that may impact on their learning experience. Please be advised that in order to provide an assessment and plan appropriate support we require as much notice as possible and, in some circumstances, up to 3 months. If you are planning to book, or have already booked, onto a short course please contact Goldsmiths Disability Team (email@example.com) at your earliest convenience.
- 10% when a participant enrolls for more than one of our courses (at the same time)
- 20% UK students
- 25%Members of the UK Law and Society Association (UKLSA)
- If five people register from the same institution for the same intake, the fifth place is free
- Goldsmiths students, staff and alumni - email us for current discounts
As a University, we are able to offer our courses at minimum prices, and free of VAT - to make knowledge available to as wide audience as possible.
Refund policy: See AIR courses main page
For information on our upcoming short courses please sign up to our mailing list.
Goldsmiths, University of London, New Cross, or
Senate House, University of London, Bloomsbury