If you are going to be travelling from abroad or elsewhere in the UK it is important you adhere to the following rules and guidance.
Primary page content
Travelling from abroad
Everyone travelling to England* must:
- Take a Covid-19 test and get a negative result during the 3 days before you travel
- Book and pay for a travel test package, which will include Covid-19 tests to be taken on or before day 2 and on or after day 8 of your quarantine
- Complete a passenger locator form with details of where you will home quarantine when you arrive and the travel test package booking reference number
- Quarantine for 10 days after you arrive. Anyone travelling from a 'red list' country must book and stay in a quarantine hotel
* Except from Scotland, Wales, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
Travelling to your student accommodation
For those returning to their Goldsmiths student accommodation who don’t need to use a quarantine hotel, our self–isolating guidance has useful information and advice on how to quarantine in your student accommodation.
Please ensure you contact staff at your hall to let them know about your travel plans ahead of returning to your accommodation. Please see our Student accommodation contacts.
Travelling during the spring vacation
The government is asking students not to travel home for the spring vacation period in order to minimise transmission of Covid-19.
It is legally permissible for students to travel home, including international travel, for the spring vacation provided you do so only once before 29 April. You can travel back to your term-time accommodation at any time, government guidance permitted.
If you are planning to travel home for the Spring vacation, follow the steps below:
- Check government guidance for any travel restrictions (including international travel restrictions is travelling abroad)
- Get a Covid-19 test before you travel home – this may mean planning ahead as far as possible and booking your test now
- Get tested again before you travel back to university – using community testing facilities where possible
- Once you return to campus you should test as soon as possible, and weekly/ twice weekly thereafter as you access campus facilities
If at any stage you test positive, you will be required by law to self-isolate for 10 days, let us know if this happens, and Goldsmiths will be in touch to support you through the process.
Travel by car with a friend or another student
You can share a car with other students or friends who live in your household or belong to your support bubble.
However, you should strictly follow the government’s Covid-19 safer travel guidance for passengers.
You can reduce the risk of transmission by:
- opening windows for ventilation
- considering seating arrangements to maximise the distance between people in the vehicle
- cleaning your car between journeys using standard cleaning products – make sure you clean door handles and other areas that people may touch
- wearing a face covering
- not sharing a car with anyone outside of your household or support bubble
By public transport
You should travel via private transport wherever possible – but, if you have to use public transport (e.g. bus, coach or train), you should strictly follow the government’s safer travel guidance.
This includes wearing a face covering unless you are exempt, planning your journey in advance to avoid busy times and routes, washing/sanitising your hands regularly, and keeping your distance while travelling.
Also, see Transport for London's guidance.