Student funding

In this section


Find out what types of student funding are available, how to apply for funding, and who to contact for advice.

Student Services can provide both applicants and students with information and guidance on student funding.

All students - postgraduate, undergraduate, home, EU, overseas, full and part time - are welcome to use the services of the Student Centre.

Detailed information is available on the following:

Statutory Student Funding (Government Funding)

More information can be found on our Undergraduate fees and funding page.

Discretionary Financial Support

Student Support Fund (including Childcare Grant), Short Term LoanHall Fees Bursary and the College Student Fund.

Contact us

The Student Centre is located in the Richard Hoggart Building, Room 117 and you can visit us any time during our opening hours of Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5pm or you can email

Frequently asked questions

Find some answers to frequently asked questions below. If your question isn't here, please get in touch with us in the Student Centre.

How long will it take before I get a response and how much will I receive?

You will be notified of the outcome of your Student Support Fund application within 4 weeks of receipt of your form. Awards range between £100 and £3,500, however the amount you receive will depend on your financial situation and circumstances.

My funding has not arrived yet and I am running out of money. Can you offer me any help?

The University has a facility to loan money to full-time students experiencing short-term hardship (for example, through a delay in the issue of a student loan and/or grants). The Short Term Loans are available only to fully enrolled students. They are normally to a maximum of £300 and are repayable in full during the academic year they are taken out. You will be sent a reminder of outstanding short term loans throughout the year, so you should make every effort to repay once your funding has arrived.

Am I eligible to apply for a Bursary?

Hall Fee Bursary

To be eligible you must be either an undergraduate or postgraduate, with a 'Home' or 'EU' student status. You must also be able to demonstrate that you have accepted a place in one of Goldsmiths' halls of residence and that you are from a low income background. Download our application packs for hall bursary pages.

Childcare Bursary

To be eligible you must be using formal OFSTED registered childcare whilst fully enrolled on a programme of study. The bursary is available to help with your childcare costs. To apply this year, you should apply to the Student Support Fund and we will assess you for the Childcare Grant. We cannot award a Childcare Grant for informal childcare, or non-OFSTED registered childcare.

Teacher Training Bursary

This payment is made to postgraduates on a PGCE course. This is a training bursary that is paid when you are fully enrolled on a PGCE course, and is dealt with via the Education Department. For more information, please email educ-studies (

Goldsmiths Bursaries and Scholarships

Information on and eligibility criteria for the various bursaries and scholarships that Goldsmiths offer.

What sources of funding am I eligible to apply for?

Eligibility for funding will always depend on your personal circumstances. For detailed information on both statutory and discretionary student funding you may either visit the Student Centre, Richard Hoggart Building, Room 117, or email, or visit our Available Types of Student Funding page.