Funding to work abroad for 2-3 months

Funding is available to work abroad during your studies or after you finish them, funded by Erasmus+.

Primary page content

Applying

Students can work abroad funded by Erasmus+ at an organisation in an eligible European country. An Erasmus+ traineeship is a period of work experience at an organisation, such as an internship or volunteering. Students must find their own placement, and then can complete an application for funding.

Placements must be full-time hours, be related to and build upon your area of study, and last between two and three months. The host organisation must have measures in place to manage the risk of Covid-19.

Check out our guidance on finding an international placement.

When you can go

For continuing students, placements may take place during summer 2021. For graduating students, placements must take place within the year after your graduation. You must have organised your placement and applied for funding in advance of your graduation.

Who can apply

All full time and part-time undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply. You must be in good academic standing and must not be in debt to Goldsmiths. International students may receive funding for an internship that is not in their home country. Students who have already received funding for an Erasmus traineeship are not eligible to apply again. 

Students can also apply for funding for a placement to be completed after graduation. The placement must have organised and funding applied for in advance of graduation. The placement must be completed within a year of graduation.

Available countries

To be eligible for funding, the placement must take place in one of the below countries:

All EU Member States: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (continuing students only), Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

EFTA EEA countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway. (Please note, Switzerland is not eligible.)

Candidate countries: Turkey, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia 

To manage the risk of Covid-19 your placement will only be approved if the UK Foreign Office are not advising against travel to your destination country on 1 June 2021.  International students cannot be funded to return to their home country.

Grant amounts

The following amounts will be awarded to successful applicants for placement located in Europe undertaken in the 2020/21 academic year:

Traineeship countryMonthly Grant
Group 1 countries (high cost of living)
Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Norway, Sweden
€520
Group 2 countries (medium cost of living)
Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey
€470
Group 3 countries (low cost of living)
Bulgaria, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia
€470

An extra €20 per month will be awarded to students who can show evidence of household income below £25,000pa.

Additional funding is also available for students with additional support requirements including those with disabilities.

We also have some awards available for students who are looking to travel to their placement using a more sustainable form of transport. See our travel page for more information on the Green Fund.

How to apply

Applications for continuing students are now closed. Please sign up to the Global Opportunities newsletter to keep updated. We anticipate applications re-opening in the Autumn.

Applications for students graduating 2020/21 are now closed.

Once the deadline has passed the Global Opportunities team will convene a panel that will review all applications. The panel will consider:

  • Eligibility of the placement
  • Motivation for the visit and relevance to your studies and/or future career
  • No previous experience in the receiving country (e.g. not returning to a country of origin)
  • Ability to represent Goldsmiths favourably

If you are selected, you will have to complete a series of paperwork to secure the funding. The Global Opportunities team will lead you through this.

Funding

All students undertaking an Erasmus+ traineeship receive a grant to support with travel and living costs. You will be asked to sign a grant agreement to receive this grant. This document confirms the total grant, dates of the mobility and payment terms.

Key details

  • Your Erasmus+ grant will be paid in GBP into your UK bank account
  • The exchange rate we use to convert the EUR amount into GBP is set annually by the European Commission
  • Your Erasmus+ grant allocation will be worked out using the dates provided in your traineeship agreement
  • You will receive 80% of the grant before your placement and the remaining 20% upon completion of your placement and of all paperwork