Details of funding opportunities for working abroad during your studies.
Primary page content
You can apply for funding to complete a short work placement of less than 2 months over your summer holidays. Find a placement that suits you and meets the following criteria:
- The placement must be hosted by an organisation
- It should include a structured programme of activity
- It should be relevant to your degree or future career
- The placement has to take place outside of the UK
- It must have policies in place to manage the risk of Covid-19
Common placements include international volunteering, teaching abroad, or completing work experience. Check out our International Placement page for tips on how to find a placement.
Placements can take place worldwide
International students are not able to receive funding for a placement in their home country. To manage the risk of Covid-19 your placement will only be approved if the UK Foreign Office are not advising against travel to your destination country on 1 June 2021.
Placements must be less than 2 months in length and take place between 1 July and 26 September 2021.
Who can apply
All full time and part-time undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply for a grant of up to £500 towards the costs of the placement. Students who meet our widening participation criteria can apply for a grant of up to £1500.
You must be in good academic standing and must not be in debt to Goldsmiths. We will prioritise students who have not received Goldsmiths or Santander Universities funding previously.
How to apply
Applications are now open.
If you meet our widening participation criteria please submit your application using the Santander Becas portal. You will be eligible to receive up to £1,500 of funding. Please note you must register on the Becas portal before you are able to access the application form.
If you do not meet our widening participation criteria please submit your application via this online form. You will be eligible to receive up to £500 of funding. Applications close at 11.59pm on 26 April 2021.
To apply, you will need to complete an application form and write a personal statement.
Once the deadline has passed the Global Opportunities team will convene a panel who will review all applications. The panel will consider:
- Eligibility of the placement
- Motivation for the visit and relevance to your studies and/or future career
- No previous experience in the receiving country (e.g. not returning to a country of origin)
- Ability to represent Goldsmiths favourably.
If you are selected, you will have to complete a series of paperwork to secure the funding. The Global Opportunities team will lead you through this.
Once your application is approved you will be asked to sign a grant agreement to receive your funding. This document confirms the total grant, dates of the mobility, and payment terms. You will receive 80% of the grant before your placement and the remaining 20% upon completion of your placement and of all paperwork.
Please note you may receive your grant after you have had to pay for your placement. Please let us know if this is an issue and we may be able to contact your placement provider.
To further enhance your experience, you could use your international placement as the main activity towards your Gold Award.
Participating in the placement and attending the pre-departure and reflection sessions would contribute towards achieving the award. Visit the Gold Award page for more information.