Student page

To receive a salary, Goldsmiths staff must hold a UK bank account.

The UK currency is the pound sterling (£/GBP). There are 100 pence (p) to the pound (£). Notes come in denominations of £5, £10, £20 and £50. Coins come in 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2.

Before you arrive in the UK

Before you move to the UK, it is worth contacting your current bank to find out the following:

  • If your current bank has a special relationship with a bank in the UK
  • If your bank card can be used in UK cash machines and if there is a charge
  • If you are able to transfer money to and from a UK bank account and if there is a charge
  • If your current bank is able to provide you with a reference which you can use when opening a UK bank account

Setting up a bank account

To open a UK bank account, you will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Passport
  • Proof of UK address (this can be found on your tenancy agreement or utility bill)
  • Proof of overseas address
  • Proof of employment

There are various types of bank accounts available for you to manage your money. It is possible to open more than one account, and they don't have to be with the same bank or building society. The Money Advice Service provides independent information on how to choose the right type of account for your needs. 

Visa and MasterCard are widely accepted across London.

Find out more about how you'll be paid by Goldsmiths