Associate Editor for Art and Perception (since 2012)
Associate Editor for The Visual Computer journal (since 2009)
Adjunct Professor of Engineering, Brown University (2007-9)
Ph.D., Brown University, Engineering, 2003.
M.Eng., McGill University, Engineering, 1991.
B.Eng., Polyetchnique, University of Montreal, Electrical Engineering, 1986.
MSc Computer Games and Entertainment (CGE):
MSc CGE teaching : Maths and Graphics modules (2008-10)
MSc Arts Computing --> MFA Computational Studio Arts:
doc.gold.ac.uk/mscac (from 2004 until 2007)
Lecture Notes on Arts Computing (2004-08)
www.goldsmiths.ac.uk/computing/computational-studio-arts/ (since 2007, Prof. J. Jefferies, Dr. Mick Grierson)
MSc AC teaching: Arts Computing 101 (2004-8)
Areas of supervision
3D shape representation in computer vision and perception, computational geometry, architectural information systems, information visualisation and arts computing in general.
Presentations and exhibitions
AIkon at the Kinetica Art Fair, London, February 2010 and 2012.
More exhibits linked to AIkon on our project website: www.aikon-gold.com
A detailed list of seminars, talks, visits is available here.
Recent keynote lectures
- Drawing in the University today: "Walking along the edge: Drawing, Computing, Robotics and Perception", Porto, Portugal (June 1, 2013).
- Laval Virtual: "Walking along the edge: Computing, games, robotics and art", Laval, France (March 29, 2012).
- NPAR keynote: "Art, Computing and Perception: exploring creative processes" --- SBIM-NPAR 2010, Annecy, France (June 7-10, 2010).
- "Future of New Media and the Arts" --- Expanded Play, Pablo Gargallo Museum, Zaragoza, Spain (April 14, 2010).
IVA 2013: 13th International Conference on Intelligent Virtual Agents, Edinburgh, UK, August 29-31, 2013.
- Real-Time Behavioral Animation of Humanoid Non-Player Characters with a Computational Ecosystem, Rui F. Antunes & FFL
CAe 2012: International Symposium on Computational Aesthetics in Graphics, Visualization, and Imaging, ACM & Eurographics, Annecy, France (June 4-6, 2012)
- Sketches by Paul the Robot, P. Tresset & F. F. Leymarie, Best Paper Award
- Developing a system of screen-less animation for experiments in perception of movement, C. MacGillivray, B. Mathez & F. F. Leymarie
EvoMusArt 2012: 1st International Conference and 10th European Event on Evolutionary and Biologically Inspired Music, Sound, Art and Design, Malaga, Spain (April 11-13, 2012)
- Generative choreography: animating in real-time dancing avatars, R. F. Antunes & F. F. Leymarie
Television and video output
- "Walking along the edge: Computing, games, robotics and art", Laval Virtual, France, (March 29, 2012)
- Creative Computing @ Goldsmiths (University of London, International Program, YouTube video, 2011)
- The future of Multimedia and the Arts (MMKM webcast, quicktime, 2008)
- http://hos.mrg-gold.com (History of the Species animation, 2007)
- Morpholingua: Shape Language and its application to Archaeology (KMi webcast, quicktime, 2007)
- "Arts et Informatique" (Arts Computing, movie clips in French, Maison des Sciences de l'Homme, Paris, 2006)
- "From the infinitely large to the infinitely small" (movie clips, inaugural lecture, 2005)
- "On arts computing, biomimetics sculpting" (radio/phone interview by Jan Skot, 44 min., mp3, Denmark, 2005)
Arts and Computing: where perception, realism, imagination and digital creativity intersect.
Computer Vision: 3D shape representation(s), reconstruction, analysis, understanding. 2D image retrieval.
Computer Graphics: interactive gesture-based systems, image-based rendering, visibility computations, procedural modeling.
Computational Geometry: 3d point cloud processing, medial scaffold, Voronoi diagram, shock graphs, geodesy.
Architectural Information Systems:
CyberMonuments and CyberCities; Biomimetic Sculpting; interactive massing.
Inaugural lecture: From the Infinitely Large to the Infinitely Small
Project topics for final year undergrads:
AIkon: the Artistic/Automated IKONograph: www.aikon-gold.com
Diasynchronoscope: 3D movement synthesis and perception (screen-less): www.doc.gold.ac.uk/diasynchronoscope
DockIt: 3D gamification of protein docking (wuth the support of the BBSRC) : www.dockit.org.uk
Eco-a-Life: art and artificial life --- ecosystems in virtual worlds: www.ecoalife.com
FoldSynth: Genetics, proteomics, visualisation: www.foldsynth.com
MorphoLingua: a language for shape: www.morpholingua.com
ProGen: procedural modelling of architecture and urban scapes in computer games: www.doc.gold.ac.uk/progen/
Other topics: www.fredericfolleymarie.com