This is an event aimed at supporting Black Men and Men of Colour who are thinking of starting a career in social work by joining our university social work degree programmes.
Do you want to be a role model? Want to give back to your community?
Book a place on this Zoom event which has been jointly organised by Goldsmiths University of London in collaboration with the University of Central Lancashire.
You will receive a zoom link when you register
The event will be hosted by Andrew Linton from Goldsmiths based in London (Andrew can be contacted at email@example.com), and Aidan Worsley from UCLan based in Preston (Aidan can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org).
This is a joint event aimed at supporting Black Men and Men of Colour who are thinking of starting a career in social work by joining our university social work degree programmes.
We will be joined by Wayne Reid, Professional Officer with BASW (British Association of Social Workers, a panel of current students will share some of their experiences of being on a social work programme – and some professional service staff.
It will be a two-hour, informal event – with lots of time for questions and discussion.
The provisional agenda is as follows:
1. Welcome and introductions – A brief overview of the current social work profession
2. Why a career in Social Work? Including motivations, rewards, salaries and the areas of practice that qualified social workers engage with
3. Reasons to Join Goldsmiths or UCLan’s Social Work Programmes- the two universities have different routes and pathways to qualification – we will look at what programme suits different people with different experiences. We will also cover issues around inclusion and study support.
4. Listening to the experiences of some current students who are black males and males of colour – including an opportunity to ask students about what it felt like for them.
5. How to Apply and Entry Requirements
6. Selection and Assessment of Candidates
7. Fees and Bursaries
We will have space for questions throughout the event.
We will provide contact details for any further information participants may want and will send out information packs to all participants.
We are interested in learning about how useful participants felt the session was and will also ask if we can contact you about that by email after the event.
Dates & times
|Date||Time||Add to calendar|
|2 Jun 2021||3:00pm - 5:00pm|
If you are attending an event and need the College to help with any mobility requirements you may have, please contact the event organiser in advance to ensure we can accommodate your needs.