Bernard Walsh is an artist and a writer, whose practice has evolved through a continuous play with words, still and moving images, to create a sense of himself being revealed through performance, audio-visual installation and publication. He is particularly interested in exploring versions of reality, and representations of lifestyle that might exist through television, cinema, and the Internet.
- 1996-97 Central St Martins School of Art MA Fine Art
- 1994-96 Central St Martins School of Art PG dip Print and Photo Media
- 1981-84 Trent Polytechnic BA Fine Art
- 1980-81 Trent Polytechnic BA (1st year) Theatre Design
- 1979-80 Manchester Polytechnic Art and Design Foundation
Bernard has taken part in public talks and exhibitions as part of the 6th International Conference on the Arts in Society in Berlin, The International Image Conference in Los Angeles and the Space Between Conference in Perth, Western Australia, among others.
He has contributed design for a number of publications including Routledge U.S.A. Autumn Catalogue, The Eight Technologies of Otherness, and The Book of Sodom, as well as designed sets and costumes for the theatre. Theatrical design includes 'Glorified Readings' with performances in San Francisco, Berlin, Clerkenwell Literary Festival and Freedom Arts Festival at ICA, London.
- Bring Me Sunshine; publication by Bernard Walsh; publication designed and published by Ditto Press, London 2016
- Jack in the jungle; publication by Bernard Walsh, drawings by Tom of Finland; publication designed and published by Ditto Press, London, 2014
- Loughton to Lambourne; publication, including essays by Bernard Walsh, and Keef Winter, photographs by Leila Pereira, editor Leila Pereira, published by Allotrope Press edition thirteen, London UK, 2014
- Journal of Creative Practice, volume 5 - Writing Between the Disciplines; publication, including essay and images: Bernard Walsh’s World Series, by Bernard Walsh 2012
- Erosion: limited edition publication, free internet download produced by Hostel, Stockholm, Sweden @ www.hostel gallery.com; including 2 essays: The Withered Bough and Supermarket, by Bernard Walsh., 2012
- Invitation: exhibition by Alison Jones and Annie Whiles, York College Gallery; exhibition publication, including an essay by Bernard Walsh, 2012
Publications and research outputs
Hirst, Nicky; Hays, Dan; Wilson, Jane and Louise; Emin, Tracey; Lucas, Sarah and Walsh, Bernard. 2001. The End is Nigh. In: "The End is Nigh", C.S.K.X. Studios, London, United Kingdom, 1-23 March 2001.
Conference or Workshop Item
Greenhill, Joanna and Walsh, Bernard. 1999. 'Snake in the Grass/Raising Dirt: a conference paper'. In: Disciplines, Fields and Change in Art Practice. UCE, Birmingham, United Kingdom.
Walsh, Bernard. 2002. Review of Michael Landy’s Breakdown and John Freyer’s allmylifeforsale.com. Public Art Journal, 1(6), ISSN 1465-7376
Walsh, Bernard. 2000. A review of Janet Cardiff’s Missing Voice (Case Study B). Public Art Journal, 1(3), pp. 69-71. ISSN 1465-7376
Walsh, Bernard. 2014. 'Loughton to Lambourne End' by Yuki Nishimura. In: Leila Pereira, ed. Loughton to Lambourne; publication, including essays by Bernard Walsh, and Keef Winter, photographs by Leila Pereira. Allotrope Press.
Walsh, Bernard and Harris, Jane. 2004. Sorcerers' Apprentice: reactive forms of body and cloth in performance. In: Gavin Carver and Colin Beardon, eds. New Visions in Performance, The Impact of Digital Technologies. Sets & Zeutlinger, pp. 139-152. ISBN 9026519664
Harris, Jane and Walsh, Bernard. 2004. Virtuous Dress. In: Gavin Carver and Colin Beardon, eds. New visions in performance : the impact of digital technologies. Lisse; Exton, PA: Swets & Zeitlinger Publishers, pp. 139-152. ISBN 9026519664
Greenhill, Joanne and Walsh, Bernard. 1999. The Snake in the Grass / Raising Dirt. In: Jacquie Swift and John Swift, eds. Disciplines, Fields and Change in Art Education. 1 ARTicle Press. ISBN 1-873352-92-1
Walsh, Bernard. 1999. Take Place. In: Andrew Cross; Simon Grennan and Nicola Stephenson, eds. Public Sightings: The Public Art Programme of the UK Year of Photograpy and Electronic Image. PHOTOARTS 2000 (Photo 98), pp. 1-127. ISBN 0953571106