A day-long programme of performance, presentations and discussion for PhD students, researchers and artists.
Primary page content
Auditory Activism: Standards, Compression and Resistance
What’s Going On? – Marvin Gaye
- Can thinking through sounding tell us what’s yet to come?
- Does auditory compression have a socio-political counterpart?
- Where are the sonic borderlines?
- How does jazz help us understand why standardisation is not always bad?
- What potential for push back does sound offer that other modalities don’t?
- Is sounding intrinsically progressive?
- Is déjà entendua real thing?
- How might sounding help us think otherwise?
- Does streaming emasculate music?
- Is sonic warfare on the rise?
- Is rhythm being metricised?
- Are digital technologies embodied?
- What does dub history tell is?
- When is versioning original?
Some references: Brandon Labelle, Jacques Attali, Robin James, Alexander Weheliye, Marie Thompson, Salome Voegelin…