Meet the members, researchers and academics involved in the Design Societies Research Unit.
Primary page content
Dr Sarah Pennington
Sarah’s primary research interests explore the implications and possibilities of feminist matters of care for design practice and design research and how these operate amongst other versions of ‘care’ enacted in design. As such, her interests include more-than-human care, speculative practice and the implications of feminist STS for practice-based design research, human-computer interaction (HCI) design, as well as inventive and creative methods.
Sarah has been involved in HCI research in design for over twenty years, where, from 2000 to 2015 she was a researcher with the Interaction Research Studio.
Professor Alex Wilkie
Alex’s work lies at the intersections of design, science and technology studies and empirical philosophy, variously engaging with human-computer interaction, more-than-human centered design, speculative practices, generalized aesthetics and constructivist thought.
This plays out through numerous projects and collaborations that engage and intervene in a range of substantive areas including climate change and energy, community engagement, the sociology of design practices, the sociology of expectations and futures, healthcare and interactive technologies, government policy, user studies as well as public engagement with science and technology.
- Dr Michael Guggenheim, Department of Sociology
- Dr Tobie Kerridge, Department of Design
- Dr Thomas Marriott, Department of Design
- Dr Tim Miller, Department of Design
- Dr Martin Savransky, Department of Sociology
- Dr Mathilda Tham, Department of Design
- Dr Blanca Callén, University of Vic & Elisava Design School, Barcelona
- Dr Carl DiSalvo, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Professor Laura Forlano, Northeastern University
- Dr. Liam Healy, Sheffield University
- Pablo Hermansen, School of Design, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
- Dr Li Jönsson, Malmö University
- Dr Daniel López Gómez, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Dr Matt Malpass, Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London
- Professor Mike Michael, University of Exeter
- Professor Noortje Marres, University of Warwick
- Professor Dimitris Papadopoulos, UC Santa Cruz
- Dr Israel Rodríguez Giralt, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Dr Daniela Rosner, University of Washington
- Dr Tomás Sánchez Criado, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Dr. Melanie Sehgal, Institut für Grundlagenforschung zur Philosophiegeschichte, Bergische Universität Wuppertal
- Dr Alex Taylor, City University, University of London
- Dr Alison Thomson, Queen Mary, University of London
- Dr Martin Tironi, School of Design, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Postgraduate Research Students
- Andreu Belsunces Gonçalves
- Tom Critchley
- Nina Cutler
- Sarah Kilkenny
- Axel Meunier
- Liliana Ovalle